• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

undergrads school name

Wondering how badly could your undergrad school rank hurt your chances to MFE programs.
Do these programs discriminate liberal arts education?? I just heard from somewhere that a top 50 liberal arts college background puts you at a disadvantage in competing for a top 10 MFE program..is it true? This makes me a little nervous...

Top 30 LAC may be fine.... others are little-known and it may depend on luck whether the admission people happen to know them.

I don't understand the LAC system at all. Is a 75th ranked LAC preferred over a 100th ranked university?

I don't understand the LAC system at all. Is a 75th ranked LAC preferred over a 100th ranked university?

I have no idea either. I think in most aspects they are oranges Vs. apple, not comparable at all. I was just commenting on the "name" (i.e. prestige factor).

LAC is a different edu style...no grad school, small class size, promotes general education rather than specialized technical skills...even math majors need to take sufficient amount of courses in humanities, arts, soc..etc.. That being said, we don't have as much practical knowledge in math/programming as you do since we devoted much of our time to other random stuff....and what we've learned are very theoretical and analyitical...so I guess MFE programs don't like us.

Competition is global so you just have to beat hundreds of other applicants from around the globe, mostly from India/China whose education involves much more math/programming/engineering subjects than liberal art grads are.
I got my education in the US and I took my fair share of history/music/psychology/etc courses. It would mean you may have to double major, take extra years, do a MS in CS/Math.
It is what it is. Programs will select applicants that are most prepared. You can't hope to get in the top programs without having a proper preparation.

Back