• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

uniform mess

radosr

Baruch MFE Faculty
Let U_1, U_2, ..., U_n be i.i.d. uniform random variables on (0,1).
Let U_(1), U_(2), ..., U_(n) be the order statistics. Also, let U_(0) = 0, and U_(n+1) = 1.
Let R_i = U_(i+1) - U(i), for i = 0, 1, ..., n.
Let M = maximum of all R_i's.
The problem of calculating E[M] has been asked in job interview setting for n = 2 and/or n = 3.
Can you do it?
Can anybody do it for general n?

It seems like I'm not the only one who is finding this difficult. The vector \((R_0,\ldots,R_n)\) is uniformly distributed on the standard n-simplex. I don't see any magic way to calculate E[M] so I'm left trying to calculate P(M <= m) which is given by the volume of the intersection of the standard simplex and the half-spaces \(R_i \leq m\). For small enough m, that's just going to be a simplex so that's easy enough but as m gets bigger, things get more complicated. For n = 2, it's not so bad to work out but even for n = 3, it seems like it gets a bit messy...

Note that given \(R_0+R_1+\cdots + R_n =1\), we need to find the probability \(P(\min(R_0,...,R_n)\leq m)=1-P(\min(R_0,...,R_n)\geq m)=1-P(R_0\geq m,...,R_n\geq m)=1-P(R_0-m\geq 0, ..., R_n-m\geq 0)\), where \(t_0=R_0-m,...,t_n=R_n-m\) satisfy \(t_0+\cdots +t_n=1-(n+1)m\)

In general, the region in \(R^{n+1}\) represented by \(\{(x_0,...,x_n): x_0+\cdots+x_n=S, x_0,...,x_n\geq 0\}\) is an \(n\)-dimensional simplex with volume \(\frac{S^n\sqrt{n+1}}{n!}\), so the probability above evaluates to \(1-(1-(n+1)m)^n\). The PDF of the minimum is then \(n(n+1)(1-(n+1)m)^{n-1}\), and the expectation of the minimum is

\(n(n+1)\int_0^{\frac{1}{n+1}}x(1-(n+1)x)^{n-1}dx=n(n+1)\cdot \frac{1}{n(n+1)^3}=\frac{1}{(n+1)^2}\)

Actually, the case for n=3 isn't that bad (though the arithmetic gets ugly). I'm getting 11/18 for n = 2 and 25/48 for n = 3, both of which agree with my one-line simulation in R.

Note that given \(R_0+R_1+\cdots + R_n =1\), we need to find the probability \(P(\min(R_0,...,R_n)\leq m)=...\)

Rados actually asked about the maximum of the R_i rather than the minimum. I hadn't thought about the minimum but it works out so nicely that I have to wonder if that's what Rados actually meant to ask. I don't think the maximum problem has such a nice solution since (as you point out) in the minimum case you always get a simplex while in the maximum case you get more complicated objects.

This problem is definitely more difficult than the one concerning the minimum. But for \(n=3\) it's not bad. For \(\frac{1}{3}\leq m\leq \frac{1}{2}\), the probability \(P(\max(R_i)\leq m)\) is \((3m-1)^2\) (the region in question is a triangle) and for \(\frac{1}{2}\leq m\leq 1\), the probability is \(6m-3m^2-2\) (the region here is a hexagon). The PDF of the max is then

\(f(x)=\begin{cases}18x-6 &\text{ if } \frac{1}{3}\leq x\leq \frac{1}{2}\\6-6x &\text{ if } \frac{1}{2}\leq x\leq 1\end{cases}\)

so the expected value of the max is \(\int_\frac{1}{3}^1 xf(x)dx=\frac{11}{18}\)

Rados, what is the solution to the general case? :)

I actually finally worked out the solution to the general case. It wasn't nearly as hard as I had thought; my main mistake was looking at what was left (a complicated object) rather than what was taken away (just a bunch of simplices!). Using inclusion-exclusion, I arrived at:
\[\frac{1}{n + 1} + \sum_{k = 1}^n (-1)^{k + 1} {n + 1 \choose k} \frac{1}{k(n + 1)} \large(1 - \frac{k}{n + 1}\right)^{n + 1}\]
I haven't managed to simplify that yet but it looks like it's correct.

This problem is definitely more difficult than the one concerning the minimum. But for \(n=3\) it's not bad. For \(\frac{1}{3}\leq m\leq \frac{1}{2}\), ... (the region in question is a triangle) and for \(\frac{1}{2}\leq m\leq 1\), ... (the region here is a hexagon).

I think that's n = 2, no? For n = 3, the region is a simplex when m is between 1/4 and 1/3, then a simplex with its corners cut off (so minus four smaller simplices) between 1/3 and 1/2 and then the entire standard simplex with its corners cut off between 1/2 and 1. I was trying to figure out how this would work for n = 4 when I realized there was an easier way than intersecting four-dimensional simplices.

Well, with the assistance of Wolfram Alpha, I managed to simplify that and the answer is so simple and unexpected that I think it was worth the effort. Here it is:
\[\frac{H_{n + 1}}{n + 1}\]

Yes, that's the (n + 1)th harmonic number in there.

Nice!

Yes, I meant \(n=2\). Our results do match for n=1 and n=2, so I'm convinced you're right. Can you explain how you got that expression?

Well, with the assistance of Wolfram Alpha, I managed to simplify that and the answer is so simple and unexpected that I think it was worth the effort. Here it is:
\[\frac{H_{n + 1}}{n + 1}\]
Yes, that's the (n + 1)th harmonic number in there.

Explanation?

Honestly, it took me awhile to work this one out for general n. This guy's answer is correct. I will scan my proof tomorrow and post it in the pdf format here.

Back