• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

University which provides MSFE in india?

Hi All,

I'm a newbie over here and had some doubts.

A brief into. i'm into software development (C/C++) since past 2.5 yrs. Grad. in CS with 7.51/10 GPA from a renowned university in india.

I want to make career in Consulting/IB/Project Management (Software).

Doubts:
  • Is there any university which provides MSFE in india? If yes pls share the name/details.
  • Which are the universities in US/Singapore which provide financial aid/ fellowships or assistantship opportunities to international students (Preference is of univ. with lower tuition fee)
Please share your views.

Thanks.

http://www.iqfindia.com/ - Instutute of Quantitative Finance, Mumbai
http://www.mse.ac.in/admissionpgeconomics.asp# - Madras School of Economics, Financial Economics/Quantitative Finance.

Both are very, very new PGD programs that are yet to establish themselves, let alone the founding institution. Unfortunately, nothing on iafe.org accredits any of the Indian institutions. Singapore may be a better bet. I don't know about funding there, but unless you go for University of Chicago at Singapore, it's not on the same level of US expenses.

IAFE is not an educational accreditation body. Any MFE program can contact them to be added on their list of program. I don't know how up to date that list is.

Oh, didn't know about that before!

My concern with India was that none of the existing established institutions, especially the top b-schools, award MFE /MathFin degrees. Also, the job market here for quants is picking up, but isn't as large as what you would find out West.

http://www.iqfindia.com/ - Instutute of Quantitative Finance, Mumbai
http://www.mse.ac.in/admissionpgeconomics.asp# - Madras School of Economics, Financial Economics/Quantitative Finance.

Both are very, very new PGD programs that are yet to establish themselves, let alone the founding institution. Unfortunately, nothing on iafe.org accredits any of the Indian institutions. Singapore may be a better bet. I don't know about funding there, but unless you go for University of Chicago at Singapore, it's not on the same level of US expenses.

The institutes which you mentioned above seems ok but the thing is i want some sort of job assurance also. Especially in india where brand name of campus plays a big role in securing a job. And international placements in Finance is more like a dream until your Tier-1 Bschool or IITs.

Did you mean Singapore is good in both fees+curriculum and placements also? I read about NTU and NUS but not very sure how are placements there. Moreover do they provide any scholarship/assistance ship? If you have any info. please share.

The institutes which you mentioned above seems ok but the thing is i want some sort of job assurance also. Especially in india where brand name of campus plays a big role in securing a job. And international placements in Finance is more like a dream until your Tier-1 Bschool or IITs..

I feel the same way, but job is never really assured anywhere. It's a pity there isn't more transparancy from universities about placements, nor is their an authorititative agency that gives you an idea about MFE placements industry-wide. This Quantnet site is probably the most active thing out there and I appreciate the effort put in.

[/quote=Did you mean Singapore is good in both fees+curriculum and placements also? I read about NTU and NUS but not very sure how are placements there. Moreover do they provide any scholarship/assistance ship? If you have any info. please share.[/quote]

Again, don't know about placements, but National University of Singapore and Nanyang have excellent brand names and a lot of tie-ups to the top universities around the globe. NTU gives you 7 weeks at Carnegie Mellon! The only way we'd match them in India is if ISB, IIM, XLRI, ISI, were to offer their programs.

Fees in Singapore are not like the US. SGD32,000 for the NUS MFE program. I'm not sure if the same rule from undergrad applies (could someone shed some light?), but I think Singapore requires you to work in the country for 2 years after getting a degree there.

Yes, but you can pay more if u want to forego the 3 year obligation.

I feel the same way, but job is never really assured anywhere. It's a pity there isn't more transparancy from universities about placements, nor is their an authorititative agency that gives you an idea about MFE placements industry-wide. This Quantnet site is probably the most active thing out there and I appreciate the effort put in.

Agree that its not very assured but probability should be high atleast :).. ya QuantNet is doing great job. I havn't found such a good stuff of FE and insight over anywhere.. really very thankful ..

Ya fees is reasonable .. it would be INR 12-13 lacs. Being from a mid class family i have a max budget of 15. Can't we find any good Universities in US within this range? May be after getting some scholarship or TA? Anyone who can put some light ? I heard public universities (Gatech, Columbia etc) are ok over there and if you do well in course you can get scholarship and TA also. Anyone who can put some light ? Overall cost of course ?

Back