• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

VAR - Equity Futures

Hi, I am trying to compute VAR for equity futures using HS .. could you suggest me how to go ahead with that .. should i use S*exp(r-q)t or simply generate a historical price series by roll over adjustment of generic contract and get VAR from its return dist .. also if latter case is preferred then which roll-over adjustment method wld b useful .. (any paper/good reference would be very useful) ..

Not sure why you are doing this -- VaR is a risk management tool to be used on the PnL of a trading strategy. It is not an academic exercise. If you just want to get an X percentile, then yes, you piece together the price series, for which there's pretty much only one method -- you add back the spread between the months on roll over.

For VaR, most places I know go with a theoretical price, so you don't have to worry about piecing together price series.

My client has a portfolio (all sort of derivatives) for which he wants to get a VAR figure .. we are approaching it by segregating them on their type .. for swaptions for instance we had a pricer which took a daily change since 2005 for forward swap rate, OIS curve and vol . and using this we created a price series for each swaption ..

however, for futures, I am still not clear which way would be better .. also as u said that if we stitch them using spread the resultant new curve is a lot different than the original one .. which hampers the daily return calculation .. as far as i can remember BBG gives u a couple of ways for this roll over adjustment .. difference(the one u suggested), ratio , average etc .. i found the avg one better suited since it takes a proportion of both active and 2nd generic contact and the shape is pretty much undistorted from the original ..

and comments on this . also would be useful if u can refer me any research paper ..

Back