• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

VC++ 6.0 or VC++ 2005??

Okey, this definitely is a beginner's question. I have VC++ 6.0 installed on my computer but am using the VC++ 2005 book by Ivor Horton. It looks like the book is totally referring to VC++ 2005. Would it be a problem for me, a beginner, to use a book for learning programming in C++ 2005 but practicing with C++ 6.0?? Thanks!

No, that won't be a problem. However, you can also download free versions of Visual Studio from the Microsoft website. You should be able to find both 2005 and 2008 -- they're call Express editions.

Agreed. VC++6 is horribly out of date by today's standards. You may pick up bad habits by using old C versions. As I recall, IDE support for the STL is lousy and you'll never get Boost to compile. Both of those will be needed once you get past beginner stages.

No, that won't be a problem. However, you can also download free versions of Visual Studio from the Microsoft website. You should be able to find both 2005 and 2008 -- they're call Express editions.

If I am using 2008 express, does it mean I have to download my own compiler (for windows)?

dish VC++ 6. It's a piece of crap.

Agreed. VC++6 is horribly out of date by today's standards. You may pick up bad habits by using old C versions. As I recall, IDE support for the STL is lousy and you'll never get Boost to compile. Both of those will be needed once you get past beginner stages. 11-18-2008 11:32 PM

That is bad news. :-k Are the Express versions also limited in this sense? If I am to buy a professional version, which one to choose, 2005 or 2008??

Thanks all you guys for the responses!

Back