• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

visual c++ 6.0 not working / setup issue

Any advice - my MS Visual C++ 6.0 program isn't working. It compiles programs with no errors but then gives errors when I try to run them. I unistalled the program and upon reinstall, it gave me this error: "Setup could not open the file c:\windows\system32\ds32gt.cll" - any advice?

make sure that you have the file dst32gt.dll in your

C:\windows\system32

directory.

If not, you will have to download it.

To add to what Alain said, usually after you uninstall some software, you need to restart before you reinstall the same software again. This is neccessary to release processes that are still using the important files needed for the program.
Your error sounds like your installation is corrupt. Reboot and try to uninstall/reinstall again.
What do you mean when you said you can compile but can't run. Can you even run some simple program like "hello world"?
If you can't run that program, that means the VC++ program is corrupt, the linkers are bad,etc..
Maybe it's time for you to try Dev-C++. I'm using Dev-C++ and cygwin so I can't provide help with VC++ related.

Thanks guys - turns out I had to run a scan of the hard drive...something was def messed up on the PC. I unistalled and reisntalled visual 6.0 and it is fine now. Andy - the same way you found that great fix for the getline bug...have you ever noticed that visual 6.0 displays errors when you try to use multiple 'for' loops and use (int i=0....) each time? Other compilers have no issue with this, but visual 6.0 doesn't like it and says you are trying to reinitialize the variable 'i' improperly...any thoughts? Thanks again guys for your support on the DLL issue.

This link may be of some help indentifying and fixing the bugs...
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;834001
VC++ 6 is infamous for being buggy. Use it at your own risk. I still don't see the benefit of VC++ over other open source compilers like Dev-C++, gcc, c++, etc
Until then, I'll keep using Dev-C++ to code, compile and run under cygwin.

Andy,

do you use make to build your programs?

I tried Dev-C++ but I have been having problems compiling from inside of it.

littlea1 said:
Andy,
do you use make to build your programs?
I tried Dev-C++ but I have been having problems compiling from inside of it.
Alain, Dev-C++ is so simple to use. Write a code. Ctr-F9 to compile, Ctrl-F11 to build and F10 to run. I never run into any trouble.
You can download cygwin and use gcc to do all this without the need of any IDE. If so i recommend emacs as code editor.

andy im so sick of visual 6.0 - just to be clear: emacs is an alternative code editor and then cygwin (which i used in class the other night) can be used to compile and run the programs? i wasted so much time this weekend fighting with v6.0 problems...

Frank,
Just to be clear, you can do all of this with Dev-C++. It has a builtin editor, you can compile, build, run from inside the IDE. The only problem with it is the command window pops up and closes so quickly after you run. I have the solutions to this in page 1 of this. Alternately, you can put cin.get(); in front of return 0;
Dev-C++ is free, light, constantly updated and I think it should get a fair chance. If you get Visual C++ 6, Stuido for free and can put up with its problems, then use it.

Cygwin is a linux environment simulator. You can use all kind of linux commands with this program, you can compile by using gcc test.cpp and run by ./test.exe. If you ever worked with Linux or ever will, this is the way to go.
Emacs is an alternative choice as an editor. It's extremely powerful but the learning curve is so steep. I use it mostly for latex but I found it's nice for coding too.
At the moment, I use Dev-C++ and cygwin in combination. I will move to full pledge Linux soon.
If you have further questions regarding Visual C++ 6, I'm afraid I don't know much about it to give any advice.

Frank,

I think you are better of trying to download VS.Net 2005. It is a much better development environment.

Andy,

I thought that Dev-C++ was really simple but I can't even compile the examples. It can find the source files. I don't know how to let it know to pick the right directories.

I think it has to be the configuration file but I'm not that sure.

littlea1 said:
Andy,
I thought that Dev-C++ was really simple but I can't even compile the examples. It can find the source files. I don't know how to let it know to pick the right directories.

I think it has to be the configuration file but I'm not that sure.
I assume you are running Dev-C++ on WinXP. If so, there is not a thing you have to do to get it working. Just download, install the program, open a cpp file, compile and it should work. it sounds like your installation is corrupt somewhere.
I installed bloodshed on both of my machines and i never have to manually change anything.

Andy,

Something with my home laptop. I installed Dev-C++ at home and it worked like a charm.

I will try to figure out and let everybody know.

Frank,

Install Dev-C++, you will like it better than VC++ 6.0.

Back