• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Yahoo finance is not working

Hi,
I get the following error when i use yahoo finance in python, see below. Is yahoo finance site down. What should i do to get yahoo finance to work.
I get the error when i run the following code in python
stock = input("Enter the stock symbol (enter 'quit' to stop): ") #Query user for stock ticker

while stock != "quit": #Runs this loop until user enters 'quit' (can do many stocks in a row)
df = pdr.get_data_yahoo(stock, start, now)
close=df["Adj Close"][-1]

thanks for help

C:\Saleem\Undervisning\Programmering\PythonProjects\Python-demos>python demo.py
Enter the stock symbol (enter 'quit' to stop): qqq
Exception in thread Thread-1:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\Users\mosa0003\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python39\lib\threading.py", line 954, in _bootstrap_inner
self.run()
File "C:\Users\mosa0003\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python39\lib\threading.py", line 892, in run
self._target(*self._args, **self._kwargs)
File "C:\Users\mosa0003\AppData\Roaming\Python\Python39\site-packages\multitasking\__init__.py", line 102, in _run_via_pool
return callee(*args, **kwargs)
File "C:\Users\mosa0003\AppData\Roaming\Python\Python39\site-packages\yfinance\multi.py", line 167, in _download_one_threaded
data = _download_one(ticker, start, end, auto_adjust, back_adjust,
File "C:\Users\mosa0003\AppData\Roaming\Python\Python39\site-packages\yfinance\multi.py", line 179, in _download_one
return Ticker(ticker).history(period=period, interval=interval,
File "C:\Users\mosa0003\AppData\Roaming\Python\Python39\site-packages\yfinance\base.py", line 157, in history
data = data.json()
File "C:\Users\mosa0003\AppData\Roaming\Python\Python39\site-packages\requests\models.py", line 900, in json
return complexjson.loads(self.text, **kwargs)
File "C:\Users\mosa0003\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python39\lib\json\__init__.py", line 346, in loads
return _default_decoder.decode(s)
File "C:\Users\mosa0003\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python39\lib\json\decoder.py", line 337, in decode
obj, end = self.raw_decode(s, idx=_w(s, 0).end())

stock = input("Enter the stock symbol (enter 'quit' to stop): ") #Query user for stock ticker

while stock != "quit": #Runs this loop until user enters 'quit' (can do many stocks in a row)
This will result in an infinite loop, as the input is only occurring one time, prior to the loop.

This will result in an infinite loop, as the input is only occurring one time, prior to the loop.
Hi again,
I forgot to send the correct code.
the correct code is

stock = input("Enter the stock symbol (enter 'quit' to stop): ")

But i never get beyond the line
and get error as described in my first mejl.
what is going wrong?
thanks

Back