• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Wall Street increasingly favors Republicans: study

Surprise, surprise!!!
People vote with their wallet. Specially on Wall Street.
The Washington research group found that individuals and political action committees connected with the finance, insurance and real estate sectors gave 68 percent of their money to Republican interests in June, just before President Barack Obama signed financial reform into law.
Nearly opposite conditions held sway in March 2009, when 70 percent of the industry's contributions went to Democrats.
Democrats say sweeping reforms were needed to prevent a repeat of the financial meltdown that tipped the U.S. economy into its worst recession since the 1930s.
But Wall Street executives accuse Democrats of embracing costly reforms as an election-year tactic to win favor from voters who are angry at incumbents and blame big banks, securities firms and insurers for economic woes including high unemployment.
Wall Street increasingly favors Republicans: study - Yahoo! News

Republicans have for a long time now been pro business and anti regulations. Dems are the opposite. How these guys thought funding a president who is pretty left of the main stream Democrat party was going to be pro wall street is beyond me.

Reap what you sow Wall Street.

It's unfortunate that the pro-business policies have to be tied up in their social agenda.

It's unfortunate that the pro-business policies have to be tied up in their social agenda.

Totally agree. I don't think economics is a big voting issue unless people are whipped into a frenzy right now. It is nice to see such broad based interest in our debt level and restricting spending, but I think it is being driven not out of a calm, economic sensibility, but more of an anti Obama push.

I don't think economics is a big voting issue unless people are whipped into a frenzy right now

Actually, I disagree with that. Economics is the only issue. Voters worry about everything else only after economic issues are taken care of.

Republicans have for a long time now been pro business and anti regulations. Dems are the opposite.

Not since Clinton. Clinton quickly learned that being pro-Wall Street and pro BIG BUSINESS (nobody is pro small business) wins elections. Obama's biggest contributors were Wall Street right?

The trend of big business capturing government started in the late 70's. Now, government is almost fully captured.

Sure, the rhetoric gets tossed around about pro-business or pro-consumer. But they all work for the multinationals.

Not trying to sound cynical.

---------- Post added at 06:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:14 PM ----------

Actually, I disagree with that. Economics is the only issue. Voters worry about everything else only after economic issues are taken care of.

Money and fear drive votes. Nothing else motivates people to go to the booth like money and fear.

Money and fear drive votes. Nothing else motivates people to go to the booth like money and fear.

Agree with the rest of your post. With regard to voting, quite a few people are just not bothering any more -- it's such a sham. Both parties work for moneyed interests and not much changes if one party gets ousted by another. For myself, I don't see why -- by the act of voting -- I should legitimise a corrupt political system.

Politics: the art of garnering the votes of the poor and the campaign funds of the rich while promising to protect each from the other. IMO the republicans don't give a damn at all about the common person and just think that the "free" market, trickle down economics, and handouts to those with the most will solve everything. They end up creating a huge fiasco of a mess.

The dems think that by simply giving handouts to the lowest people on the ladder and trying to create the paradoxical situation of "everyone being a winner" that they can bring happiness and prosperity to everyone. Although they don't make the original mess, they usually wind up making the mess that republicans made worse.

All in all, damned if you do, damned if you don't. Would be a lot nicer if we threw out all the lawyers and lifer politicos and replaced them with a bunch of quants in the white house and capitol hill so that optimization algorithms would end all of the garbage earmarks and such.

That being said, I fail to see the global differences between democrats and republicans - it all appears to be just semantics..

There are slight differences -- they are backed by slightly differing sectors of the moneyed classes. Thus, oil companies tend to support Republicans more while Wall Street and internet companies have supported Democrats more. Neither party appeals to the public interest because, well, the masses of people are not constituted as a public to begin with. In this connection, Ferguson's investment theory of party competition is enlightening:

The real market for political parties is defined by major investors, who generally have good and clear reason for investing to control the state...Blocs of major investors define the core of political parties and are responsible for most of the signals the party sends to the electorate.

In such investor-driven systems, the meaning of political competition is very different from its analogue in classical democratic theory: political parties dominated by large investors try to assemble the votes they need by making very limited appeals to particular segment of the potential electorate. If it pays some other bloc of major investors to advertise and mobilize, these appeals can be vigorously contested, but...on all issues affecting the vital interests that major investors have in common, no party competition will take place. Instead, all that will occur will be a proliferation of marginal appeals to voters - and if all major investors happen to share an interest in ignoring issues vital to the electors, such as social welfare, hours of work, or collective bargaining, so much the worse for the electorate. Unless significant portions of it are prepared to try to become major investors in their own right, through a substantial expenditure of time and (limited) income, there is nothing any group of voters can do to offset this collective investor dominance.

Political parties should thus be analyzed as blocs of major investors who coalesce to advance candidates presenting their interests. Differing blocks form within the business community for a number of different reasons and often along certain lines.

This is the way capitalism and democracy are reconciled in the USA -- the former is oligarchic and authoritarian in nature, the latter ostensibly egalitarian. If anything really occurred to challenge oligarchic interests, the velvet glove of politely asking a befuddled public for support of one of two near-identical candidates would swiftly be jettisoned to reveal the iron claw of fascist rule (which the US seems to be edging towards in any case).

Besides appealing to slightly different groups of investors, the parties also differ in rhetoric as they appeal to different electoral bases. Thus the Democrats tend to engage in more wishy-washy talk of, say, "hope and change." This vapid talk, these vague half-promises, are chucked out the moment the party wins the election. In all the things that matter, the present administration is indistinguishable from the previous Republican one. But as Emma Goldman pointed out a century back, "if voting could change anything, they'd have abolished the ballot box a long time ago." Or as I tell people, "do you think a bunch of little old ladies making X marks on their ballot papers is going to change the deployment of an aircraft carrier task force in the Persian Gulf?"

Back