• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Wall Street "Programmer" Jobs

Jim

There are a lot of job postings on Indeed/Dice soliciting applicants for programmer jobs at hedge funds, banks, etc. I can see these jobs as an excellent opportunity for a person to network his way into finance.

-Do you think that these generic developer jobs require just as much pedigree as a lot of the quants are expected to have?

-How much need is there for generic C++/Java/and or .NET at quant finance settings?

-After brushing up on my programming skills (about three more years of programming and or management), what's the best way to network my way into these jobs? Should I be using Pathak's approach to networking by attending financial engineering conferences too??

-Are generic developers also subject to the "cut-throat" culture of Wall Street? Or are they sort of the quiet types that simply create and support the platforms that the macho quants use to run their models?

Thanks

There are a lot of job postings on Indeed/Dice soliciting applicants for programmer jobs at hedge funds, banks, etc. I can see these jobs as an excellent opportunity for a person to network his way into finance.

As I understand it, a lot of these postings are phantom postings.. the jobs don't exist or are already filled

As I understand it, a lot of these postings are phantom postings.. the jobs don't exist or are already filled

Eh... I guess a lot of these postings might also be from head hunters that want to have a supply of good programmers to offer their clients. So I guess this means that living within the vicinity of the Street is all the more important to get these jobs? I don't see any other way but to network my way in.

---

Are these generic programming jobs something a lot of MFE graduates end up pursuing?

Back