• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Wall Street West

A backup site is planned for Wall Street firms in case of another attack

Wall Street West

Firms may back up offices in Pa. in case of new terror

BY PAUL D. COLFORD
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

Talk about macabre marketing.

Executives of New York firms are due today at a Pocono Mountains golf resort to hear a pitch for Wall Street West - a plan to develop backup business offices in the event of another deadly terrorist attack.

Pennsylvania Gov. Ed Rendell has committed more than $30 million to an effort to build and wire satellite office space in the northeastern part of the state - an area some 80 miles or more from Manhattan.

The plans are so far along that construction is set to begin in June on a 300,000-square-foot corporate campus in rural Middle Smithfield Township - population 11,500.

The project has become known as the Penn Regional Business Center.

"Wall Street West is an idea and a vision ... and we're ready to go," Debbie Burke, assistant director of public affairs for the Penn Regional Business Center, told the Daily News yesterday.

A brochure for the center offers this sales pitch:

"Terrorism experts agree it's not a question of if there will be another terrorist attack ... only when," it reads. "In the event of a disaster, a business continuity office at PRBC is ideal."

After the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks, the federal government recommended that financial services companies establish backup sites and devise "business continuity" plans to safeguard their operations against terrorists. The goal is to resume the processing of financial transactions as early as two hours after an attack.

Bigwigs from more than 20 leading Wall Street firms are expected on the 30-minute helicopter ride to the Poconos.

Wall Street West represents a huge, cautious step since 9/11 jolted companies, especially those located in lower Manhattan, into relocating some operations and planning how they would do business in the event of another calamity.

In 2002, the New York Stock Exchange reportedly considered sites in Westchester, where it could safely resume trading activity if its landmark headquarters at 23 Wall St. were incapacitated.

Penn Regional developer Larry Simon said he won't build unless tenants are signed, but added, "I don't see anything that would stop me from meeting that groundbreaking timetable."

Simon, who will be among today's presenters, plans to build nearly 5 million square feet of office space tailored to the needs of financial services companies.

"We can't control the disaster, but we sure as hell can control the recovery," he said.

"We're talking about the preservation of mom and dad's 401(k) plan and Johnny's college fund."
Source http://www.nydailynews.com/front/story/460349p-387128c.html

why is new jersey not a better alternative? I go skiing in the Poconos and that I-80 traffic is a killer. Unless the plan is to helicopter everyone in the event of an emergency I'm not sure this will work.

Maybe it will, I guess the idea is to have a skeleton crew already working there. That might make sense.

Back