• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

what are your selling points?

Hey everyone, it is recruiting season here at Cornell and employers are getting resumes by the boat-load.
So, I though we could start a discussion on selling points because every employer presentation I go to emphasizes the importance of: "why banking? why me?". Now, obviously, this is not particular to just banking (for example, I am a math/stats guy and prefer the "why quant-stuff? why me?" version) but my idea is clear.

How does an interviewer decide between two candidates who just graduate from the same program? In other words, how does a candidate convince the employer that all others equally-qualified are second to himself? How do YOU sell yourself?

It depends either on establishing a rapport with the interviewer (which may be for reasons entirely unrelated to the demands of the job), or just pure whim on the part of the interviewer. To be frank, there's not much that differentiates one candidate from another: we can't all "brand" ourselves as exceptional; and for this very reason the raison d'etre for hiring decisions is deliberately left opaque.

It's tough that you have to compete with half of your class for the same position since you said "firms getting resume by the boat-load". Everyone took the same couses so employers would have to look at GPA, relevant work experience to pick out a few people for interview. They obviously would not interview every Cornell student that sent in the resume.
The best way to beat your classmates is to actually having something unique and deliverable.
Having a good chemistry with hiring people is good.
I don't know about you but if I were to sell myself, I would sell them hard on my technical skill, adapability, problem solving ability, good work ethnic and a strong team player.
I wouldn't sell them what I think they want to hear because it may backfire badly.

Back