• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

What are your thoughts on the Refresher courses thus far?

Please rate the importance, usefulness of the refresher courses

• Not useful or important

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Prof. Stefanica asked me solicit feedback on the refresher courses in a formal way. We have planned to email a questionnaire to those taking the courses and gather the feedback anonymously. I have drafted a questionnaire for Prof. Stefanica but he has yet time to get around to it so here comes the informal poll.

We have finished the C++, Calculus, part of Probability and soon Linear algebra. From what I have seen so far, these courses are invaluable, worth the money and highly recommended for anyone entering the program.
Your background may be different and you may find the courses non-essential. I'd like to know your feed back on each course.

C++: I only took two C++ courses undergrad, programming on and off, nothing professionally. I did get around to learn a bit of Java, perl, python. The refresher proves to be important to me because I now relearn things I forgot and got my skills up to date.

Calculus: As everyone else, I took Cal 1,2,3 undergrad many moons ago. The calculus part of the refresher is a not a big deal but the financial application is very helpful. I get some idea of what I'll be studying in Financial instrument course. And a chance to apply the C++ skills to do the bond pricing, zero rate interest.

Probability: this is a difficult course and there is no way to avoid it. If you take it in the Fall, it's wise to take the refresher as well. This is a strictly theoretical course and you should spend lot of time doing homework.

Linear algebra: not yet taken but from what I heard, this is a very good class by Prof. Stefanica. The notes are very well prepared and the materials are of essentials to the Numerical Linear Algebra course.

In all, I would give each course 5 starts in term of its importance and usefulness. I would take all of them AGAIN if I can.

Re: What are your thoughts on the Refresher courses thus far

Andy said:
Probability: this is a difficult course and there is no way to avoid it. If you take it in the Fall, it's wise to take the refresher as well. This is a stricly theoretical course and you should spend lot of time doing homework.

For me the Real Analysis-Probability is probably the most diffcult course of the program, both in term of mathematical rigour and time requirements.

The courses are important to take but vary in the effectiveness of the information conveyed.

Calculus refresher: Professor Stefanica is a great teacher in addition to being a subject matter expert. He conveyed the necessary information in an effective and interesting manner (as interesting as could be expected considering the maaterial). He was always organized, came prepared with handouts and followed a syllabus. I would highly recommend this class.

C++ refresher: Provides exposure to how C++ can be used to solve Financial problems. Doesn't adhere as closely to the syllabus so some more basic and fundamental topics are covered a little too quickly in my opinion. May require more advanced knowledge of C++ prior to the class than indicated in the class description.

Re: What are your thoughts on the Refresher courses thus far

John said:
For me the Real Analysis-Probability is probably the most diffcult course of the program, both in term of mathematical rigour and time requirements.
Completely agreed. Prof. Kosygina will be teaching Probability next semester at the Graduate Center. I will take the Real analysis there AGAIN in addition to the one at Baruch. I took Real Analysis in my first year in graduate school (Fall 04) so some set theory, measure space,etc refreshers are in order.
I'd like to stress that unless you have taken graduate courses in math before, this class will be the most challenging course you ever take. Even for me, I'd need to spend majority of my time next semester on this class. There is no easy walk in the park.

Though I only took one class of probability refresher so far, I think it is really important for me to refresh my memory. I learned probability long time ago and forgot much knowledge. The refresher courses are important for those who will enter AMF program without solid mathematical background.

C++ (helped me, though, last assignment given by Dave was too much for me to handle at the time.) Very useful class, highly recomnmended to all incoming students. Greg threw us into the fire the very first day so it does take some getting used to, but that is what the real world is like.

Advanced Calc Very well-organized and taught well by Dan. Not only math but also some finance to go along with the math (quite useful).

Probability Taking right now, seems very tough. The notes are very well organized by Prof. Kosygina.

Linear Algebra Have not taken yet but Dan's style of Advanced Calc was much appreciated so the expectation is for the same thing.

Now that Probability has concluded, what are your thoughts? :)
I believe in the span of 4 short classes, we only touched upon the tip of the iceberg and there are more to come in the Fall. I assume we will learn more set theory, measure theory and then its applications. Not that I'm excited or anything but will have to be more prepared for it.
Ross is a good book, along with the "50 problems in probability" that Prof. Stefanica mentioned. My first choice of a quick reference is the Schaum's outline series (ISBN: 0071350047). That applies to any subject I ever took (I have Schaum's outlines of Real analysis, linear algebra, complex analysis, and other courses)

My thoughts on probability: tough and somewhat abstract material. More enjoyable when we used the math to solve actual financial problems. I would have preferred that the TA provided optimal solutions to the HW like in Advanced Calc. The class is valuable because it is a wake-up call regarding how difficult and rigorous the actual class will be.

I totally agree with Frank. Course was very useful and helped to recover some basic concepts of probability. On the other hand, it will definitely benefit the course, if more financial applications are included instead of proving theorems. The same applies to the main course in the Fall.

frankm1342 said:
tough and somewhat abstract material. More enjoyable when we used the math to solve actual financial problems. I would have preferred that the TA provided optimal solutions to the HW like in Advanced Calc. The class is valuable because it is a wake-up call regarding how difficult and rigorous the actual class will be.
Agreed. This is a pure math course with financial applications sprinkled into to keep the students interested :D
As for the TA, it would be helpful to get the solutions to all 4 homeworks as we have yet to see one. I do like to see why I did something wrong to not repeat it again.
maxrum said:
it will definitely benefit the course, if more financial applications are included instead of proving theorems. The same applies to the main course in the Fall.
Unless they decide to go about it differently in the Fall, the majority of your time will be spent proving theorem. Financial applications are just bonus :mrgreen: Just ask any student who took it. Good news is there is only one of it. If we have to take it, it's better to get it over with.

I took the Probability course(limited version as I will take the class next year). It is very tough. Overall I think everyone should take refresher classes(time-permitting). It sets you up greatly for the Fall semester.

Andy said:
Unless they decide to go about it differently in the Fall, the majority of your time will be spent proving theorem.

May be somebody after reading this forum will change something in the Fall's course :D If not, it means that we need this theoretical course to get a job (or at least perform well on interview). Our program director knows better. :D

maxrum said:
May be somebody after reading this forum will change something in the Fall's course :D
Whom are you trying to hint at Max? :mrgreen:
This is a required course so there are no ifs, buts about it. My feeling is that since Baruch improves syllabi every year, we will need to learn more material each year. It's true that it will be great when you go to an interview, besides a great programmer, being able to understand the mathematical rigor will help solve the brain teasers :smt115

I took three refreshers ( skipped the C++) and found all of them excellent... way more than I expected. Each class included practical financial examples... ( which gives a little idea of the shape of the elephant :) ) ...is realy appreciated. Now i wish I had taken the C++ refresher too... :)

I am very glad that baruch offered those refreshers. Its of immense help to those coming to school after a loooong pause.. regardless of background.

Just sitting in the class for 3 hours after a days of work, itself is daunting :)

hasan said:
Now i wish I had taken the C++ refresher too... :)

The same here. I would love to take it. Syllabus of C++ should be more specific and relevant to what actually taught in the course.

maxrum said:
hasan said:
Now i wish I had taken the C++ refresher too... :)

The same here. I would love to take it. Syllabus of C++ should be more specific and relevant to what actually taught in the course.

The C++ instructors are very knowledgeable and exprienced with C++ and its application at work in Finance. We are so fortunate to have them. I totally recommend it to anyone.

However, it'll be really nice if they also could follow a well-structured lesson plan each time they come into the class room. (Some times our questions can lead us off track or out of the scope of the class, and this worries me when thinking about the coming fall semester.)

Bridgett said:
(Some times our questions can lead us off track or out of the scope of the class, and this worries me when thinking about the coming fall semester.)
Don't we know this feeling all too well? :mrgreen:
Even I only have a basic knowledge of C++, I have a feeling that students with advanced programming knowledge will benefit tremendously from taking the class with Greg. Dave is a bit more academic style and if you are used to how C++ is taught undergrad, you will do fine.
The C++ refresher hinted at many new and advanced topics for the Fall such as debugging, CVS, XP...I'm sure I will have many "Sleepless in New York" ahead but at the same time, pretty excited :smt024
To quote a current student in the program
C++: not difficult, just time-consuming. Many group projects
Probability: difficult, time consuming. Many days of hair-pulling.
Numerical Linear algebra and Financial Instrument: many tough in-class exams

http://mfe.haas.berkeley.edu/c.html
Above is the website for C++ "refresher" for MFE students at UC Berkeley. The cost is $950 ($850 for admitted students), 15 hours long, taught by one person.
Our C++ is 24 hours long, $200 cheaper, taught by two experienced practitioners, heavy with financial applications...
Their syllabus is very simple compared to what we studied during our C++ summer class. :smt006

Linear Algebra is the first refresher course I've taken and I'm really glad that I did take it. Although I've known most of these concepts before, the application was extremely interesting and it was a refresher in the true sense of the word. I think what's great about having these courses, over and above getting us prepared for the tough one, is that we get to know the teaching styles and what professors expect from us, we've taken our time to get used to the notations, we've also used quantnet extremely effectively, so that much less time spent getting used to all these after the semester starts. :wall

I really wanted to take Advanced Calc, since its been so terribly long since I've done any of it, and Probability too just because of the nature of the Beast (And you guys have all done very very well to terrorize me completely about the course! :smt023 ), but unfortunately, there was no way I could have come to NY in time for them.

If program progresses this way I am not going to be surprised to find out that in a few years Refresher Course will cover the material which was taught during the first semester of regular class when program just started. :)

Back