• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

What do I do?

Hi all,

I need to make a decision, need you guys help.
I am a Firsct Class with Distinction in Computer Science but have a deep interest in maths and finance, in short, very much interested in financial mathematics. I had applied to a score of colleges.
I got acceptances from CASS (MTFE) , Lancaster, Birkbeck, Leicester monaco etc, rejections from LSE, Imperial (MFE),Warwick and King's MAINLY BECAUSE THEY WANT A PURE MATHS BACKGROUND DEGREE.
UCL rejected me because I am over qualified.

Now, do i take up Mathematical Trading and Finance at CASS? I spoke a few alumni and they say its quite good. What do you people say about this?

Please do post your comments.

Thanks and regards,
Hari

UCL rejected me because I am over qualified.

How did you come to know about this....

1) No need to look for the reasons why you got rejected, you did not match or was not good enough.

2) Cass is definetely your better option ;p

@Paul: I dont understand why do they absolutely need a pure maths undergrad degree... Our maths syllabus is much more tougher and advanced than a BSc Maths degree.....
CASS, yes, but what about the job prospects, does it have a good placement history?

They do not require a math degree? Where did you see that? I do not have a math degree...
Ask other people but I think that CS is OK

@Paul: I am just stating the reasons that they gave me. You may be having a different profile than what i have, geographically things may differ, education systems may differ, colleges may differ, hence i think its totally unbiased for you to set a benchmark upon a single example of yours. There may be other cases too, as I said, things differ.

Thanks

Out of general interest, where do you (did you) do your compsci degree?

Incidentally, have you considered the Imperial Risk Management programme (which seems to be more applied)?

@Paul: I am just stating the reasons that they gave me. You may be having a different profile than what i have, geographically things may differ, education systems may differ, colleges may differ, hence i think its totally unbiased for you to set a benchmark upon a single example of yours. There may be other cases too, as I said, things differ.

Thanks

They said in email they only want students with pure math background? That's not possible. Not school would do that.

If you are guessing the reason, you can stop now because that doesn't help at all. I guess you may not have enough failures in your life and feel excuse about the bad result. For something like admission and interview, they need a reason to hire/admit you but never need a specific reason to fail you or say, u r just not good enough/fit enough.

"Our maths syllabus is much more tougher and advanced than a BSc Maths degree". Please also refrain from saying this. If math syllabus for computer science student is more tougher than one for math student, I really worry about the intelligence of faculties who design the syllabus.

@Ryan: Don't be over smart here.. I dont need to prove a point here to you.. I speak the truth and truth only..
With Warwick, I sent them around 6 emails and then they said I dont have a pure maths background
With Kings, its after I reapplied, they gave me the same reason in the online system.
With Imperial, I called up the lady called Sally, she told me the same.
With UCL, they dropped me a mail.
Its only LSE, they stated a mumbo jumbo reason..
If you want to prove yourself wrong, gimme your email address, I'll prove you wrong. I can forward you the mails. Think before you speak..
Also, I too know that they dont give the reason for rejection, but I made em to give it.. You understand?

@TheComplexUnit: I have done my undergrad from VTU, although not the best, but one of the top..

@Ryan: Don't be over smart here.. I dont need to prove a point here to you.. I speak the truth and truth only..
With Warwick, I sent them around 6 emails and then they said I dont have a pure maths background
With Kings, its after I reapplied, they gave me the same reason in the online system.
With Imperial, I called up the lady called Sally, she told me the same.
With UCL, they dropped me a mail.
Its only LSE, they stated a mumbo jumbo reason..
If you want to prove yourself wrong, gimme your email address, I'll prove you wrong. I can forward you the mails. Think before you speak..
Also, I too know that they dont give the reason for rejection, but I made em to give it.. You understand?

@TheComplexUnit: I have done my undergrad from VTU, although not the best, but one of the top..

dude, bring your tone down a bit !! ... u r seeking assistance over here...... u r digressing from d question itself....n nw dat u hav:

firstly see d mirror.... "I have done my undergrad from VTU, although not the best, but one of the top.." .... Atleast boast of something that is worth it...VTU... seriously?? i mean u really think it is one of the best?? ..... i say no more... and please do not tell d ranking of xyz mag....it all piece of crap..... (before u think of asking me let me tell myself... i m from iit kgp electrical)
secondly to say that CSE math is far tougher that bsc maths or like implies to me that u r hallucinating..... hw much maths did u study in cse?? that much maths people in my collg knw by class 12...... i completely agree with Ryan that if thats d case then" I really worry about the intelligence of faculties who design the syllabus."

nw: y r u confused?? ... firstly u say u dont need to prove a point then u end by saying "send across ur email...i vil prove it to u"

i m sorry to hve written all this ...neither do i mean to boast nor scorn u bt please lower ur aggression level .... its totally uncalled for..... u cld hv given a fitting reply to all above without seeming to be too complacent & cynical....

nw to ans ur quest: cass is an "okay" option.... u cn go fr it...factors dat play a crucial role in decision making r ur current job status, if ny n future plans.... if u beleive u r ready then go fo it or else work towards making ur profile better n apply nxt yr.... a lot of capital is involved make a calcualtive decision.... a frnd of mine is doing the same course although part time from Cass....though he already has a job in BAML so thing r different for him bt still EMEA (Europe, Middle East n Asia) is d biggest region in terms of exotic derivatives transaction so London is the place u wld want to be .... this increases d chances of securing a job..... but n a big BUT what matters ultimately is "YOU" ..... n dis attitude of urs vil nt help u in dis pursuit..... d thing to remember is that "never consider urself to be on the top of hierarchy chain or else u may remain at that spot or even crawl down" please try n take dis with a positive sense...... i seldom post n so u vil nt hear from me for quite long again...

all d bst !!

@prateek: Yes I agree to some of your points here. You are from IIT and yes IIT is the *best* in India but I donno how the syllabus is over there. If you compare the state level universities, out of the states present in India, I made a comparision of the CSE syllabus with the other univs not all but most of em and it stands out better. I dont say things just like that without making my homework..

And Prateek, regarding the CSE maths syllabus, do you know what VTU teaches?
Also, regarding the BSc Maths comment I made, I made comparision with certain universities too. Did you do that?
Also, yes I agree to Ryan's and your comment about what kind of syllabus is set for BSc degrees, not upto the mark.
I speak with values in my hand.. I dont speak vaguely..

Regarding my attitude, I speak on what and how others speak. If they speak politely, I ll be politer. If they are sarcastic, I would be more sarcastic. If you see my above replies my tone was controlled.

Regarding proving the point, I am not confused, I said I dont want to prove the point *HERE* (in this thread) and make a tamasha out of it, hence I asked his email address.

And regarding this " "never consider urself to be on the top of hierarchy chain or else u may remain at that spot or even crawl down"", very true indeed, I agree.

Thank you for your comment Prateek.

Regards,
Hari

@prateek: Yes I agree to some of your points here. You are from IIT and yes IIT is the *best* in India but I donno how the syllabus is over there. If you compare the state level universities, out of the states present in India, I made a comparision of the CSE syllabus with the other univs not all but most of em and it stands out better. I dont say things just like that without making my homework..

And Prateek, regarding the CSE maths syllabus, do you know what VTU teaches?
Also, regarding the BSc Maths comment I made, I made comparision with certain universities too. Did you do that?
Also, yes I agree to Ryan's and your comment about what kind of syllabus is set for BSc degrees, not upto the mark.
I speak with values in my hand.. I dont speak vaguely..

Regarding my attitude, I speak on what and how others speak. If they speak politely, I ll be politer. If they are sarcastic, I would be more sarcastic. If you see my above replies my tone was controlled.

Regarding proving the point, I am not confused, I said I dont want to prove the point *HERE* (in this thread) and make a tamasha out of it, hence I asked his email address.

And regarding this " "never consider urself to be on the top of hierarchy chain or else u may remain at that spot or even crawl down"", very true indeed, I agree.

Thank you for your comment Prateek.

Regards,
Hari
VIT is no where near the best eng colleges in India..IITs, NITS(top 3) ,BITS Pilani those are the top ones..

@Paul: I dont understand why do they absolutely need a pure maths undergrad degree... Our maths syllabus is much more tougher and advanced than a BSc Maths degree.....
CASS, yes, but what about the job prospects, does it have a good placement history?

Can you link the syllabus for both the computer science and mathematics programs? As far as I know, most schools only require math up to calculus II and linear algebra for a computer science program. Maybe even differential equations if the computer science program is in the engineering department. Mathematics majors, on the other hand, have a requirement of about four math courses with five electives. Many students I know sometimes take even more than the five electives required.

If your computer science was more rigorous than that, then you should have been rewarded with a double math/computer science degree and/or major; at least you would in most universities in the U.S.

That being said, if "King" rejected you "MAINLY BECAUSE THEY WANT A PURE MATHS BACKGROUND DEGREE", well I just can't see how that holds up if your CS program was more rigorous than a mathematics degree anyway.

EDIT: Why can't I properly space the paragraphs? I tried and it reverts back to this without any spacing Andy...

@AWilliams: I will mail you the curricula, could you give me the email address? I don't want to drag the conversation off topic on in this thread.

Regards,
Hari

Back