• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

What is in the Future now???

This is in reference to the text quoted above. I read Tim Grant's(MD of UBS) interview and ho sounded pretty optimistic about the demand of Quants increasing!!!

I would be very pleased to read this interview, do you have a link ?

Thanks,
Olivier

the top 10% of the people will still make it. Updating your education and working as hard as possible is the minimum you should be doing to even have a chance to be in the top 10%!

hmm... Is there a point? :)

Consider education as a long term investment in yourself, a skill and personality upgrade that is relevant for the rest of your life. While the technical skills you acquire might have a short half life and job opportunities are unpredictable, you will not lose the capability to think, organize problems, and react to situations better then your competitors who did not go to graduate school.

My feeling is that while financial markets and employment prospects are always changing, sometimes for the better and right now for the worse, the top 10% of the people will still make it. Updating your education and working as hard as possible is the minimum you should be doing to even have a chance to be in the top 10%!

Hear, hear.

The ability to learn ought to be kept sharp.

I'm with those who say that education is critical to your survival in the market. As I have said more than once I've made some career decisions that were so dumbass stupid that I now tell them as jokes over a beer.
Education helped me get past these (mostly) intact.

It doesn't really matter whether the **** you are in is caused by your own mistakes, that of your employer or every bank in the world screwing up.

However, there is some luck in my education, although I tried to optimise my learning with respect to money, some of the most useful things got into my skill set by accident.

It is important to research for not only those skills that are in demand, but do that deeply enough that you can identify which ones you can be superior to others in that area.
That has always been at least partly true in good times, but the game theory now is that you are competing with more people. You can't hope to win all the races, live with it.
In this market you will get employed by crushing the opposition on the narrow subset of things they test you in during the interview process.
You really really don't want to be "competent" at everything. You need to dazzle on a smaller front.

Back