• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

What knowledge is important for algo. trading or equity research?

For a statistics/computer science guy to find a junior position in 1) algo. trading or 2) quantitative equity research (yes, I know they are two different positions, but both of them need statistics and programming to analyze large-scale data set), what knowledge/skills are important (in addition to econometrics/time series/market microstructure)? Any good book or resource to recommend?

Thanks.

Signal processing is also useful.
This is a domain where even if you work in some other language like C#, Java or Slang, they look down their noses at you if you don't have C++ skills.

Doesn't hurt to know about Kelly criteria.

Currently the only directly useful work on the subject I know of is part of the CQF, and even that is only an introduction.

But this is a currently sexy area, and there are books coming. Part of my homework is to revue a promising book to be published by Wiley.

An interesting introduction to the game is Khaqndanis & Lo's paper on how some algotrading went wrong last summer.
http:/papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=1015987

It doesn't hurt to learn FIX, but that's tricky to acquire except though work.

Many thanks for the information!

Hope the book you mentioned will be published soon. I can find a few recent books on portfolio management/optimization, but none of them received positive rating consistently at amazon. For books in algo. trading, things become even worse.

Back