• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

What math topics a great Quant should know

Say,
-Pure Mathematics + Calculus
-Stochastic Calculus
-Financial Mathematics
-Real Analysis
-Statistics

What else?

Look around the forum, and Andy's footer on the Master reading list. Furthermore, the list of courses in any decent program should help you figure it out.

Look around the forum, and Andy's footer on the Master reading list. Furthermore, the list of courses in any decent program should help you figure it out.

hi,
I saw that list, but it's not very deeply mathematical - I mean, that it will not be enough for geniuses.
Moreover, what is a decent program? Say, MFE is not a decent program for me - maybe it's good, but it's not enough for my appetite. But I don't want to skip something from Mathematical side.

well if you are planning to be a mathematical genius, I'm sure you won't skip anything important, and it wouldn't be hard to pick up if you do. There is no limit to the math topics a great quant should know, however you only need to know the ones that enable you to be a great quant.

math genius does not always imply a great quant

Not all math is useful for a quant.

Not all quant math is interesting to a mathematician.

What you wrote above is a decent list. Here are some more
ODEs
PDEs
Numerical methods
Game theory

Probably the most important thing to be a useful mathematician to a finance firm is to be able to see the correspondence between the math and the underlying finance.

Back