• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

What programming skills do I need to learn to become a quant?

I'm a rising senior studying statistics with a minor in CS. My goal is to become a quantitative researcher, or at least get a quant internship first. I heard that quants need strong coding skills, but most of courses I've taken are theoretical ones(math & stats), and in addition, those CS courses offered in school only teaches part of the skills, like python/java/C. The other ones commonly employed in the industry, such as javascript, csv, mySql(I've only heard of these) needs to be learned by myself. So what type of coding skills do I need, and what are some great ways to learn that? Is a coding bootcamp necessary? I would appreciate anybody who had quant experience to answer.

I recommend Quantnet C++ and then you start being able to think about the next level, i.e. design. Design != coding.

I recommend Quantnet C++ and then you start being able to think about the next level, i.e. design. Design != coding.
I'm already enrolled in this course and it's almost done for me. I can program in python/java/C++/R now, but I feel like that's not enough for getting a quant internship. One of the ways I could think of now is to start learning to backtest a strategy from quant reports. Does that sound reasonable?

Oops, sorry, I missed that.
One of the ways I could think of now is to start learning to backtest a strategy from quant reports.

I would say that the next skills are to independently design and implement a program from scratch based on some requirements document?
This is not a skill that you learn in a couple of weeks.

Oops, sorry, I missed that.
One of the ways I could think of now is to start learning to backtest a strategy from quant reports.

I would say that the next skills are to independently design and implement a program from scratch based on some requirements document?
This is not a skill that you learn in a couple of weeks.
May you explain in more details about "design and implement a program from scratch based on some requirements document?" What are some typical projects I could work on?

There are lots! Here are two theses I supervised last year.

Initially, you first need to walk (learn the design process on a generic/non nitty-gritty cases) before running (actually applying design know-how to problem, A,B,C,...X,Y,Z, whatever).

Something in finance/ML arena in C++/Python might be a good case.

Last edited:
There are lots! Here are two theses I supervised last year.

Initially, you first need to walk (learn the design process on a generic/non nitty-gritty cases) before running (actually applying design know-how to problem, A,B,C,...X,Y,Z, whatever).

Something in finance/ML arena in C++/Python might be a good case.
Thanks you very much Daniel!

Library quant do a bit more than software development they also responsible for initial research and prototype. But they are less concerned with deskside analytics

Back