• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

What should I do?

Hi everyone. I am currently a Baruch undergraduate student majoring in Mathematics with a Finance Concentration and I am on the path of graduating a full year earlier (spring 2013). I have been independently studying for the actuarial exams (passed the P exam and will take the FM one soon) but the financial world has always been an interest of mine along with math and the field of computational finance sparked my interest. Now I really want to obtain a masters in Financial Engineering. Being caught up in graduating earlier, I lack work experience in related industries. However, I did study abroad a full semester and gained an immense amount of global knowledge and it was definitely a life changing experience. What are my chances of getting into a top MFE program for the Fall 2013 semester (I assume that I will have to take my GRE really soon then)? Should I apply right now or get a job in a related industry (perhaps actuarial) to get work experience for a year and apply the following year to increase my chances of getting in? Any advice or suggestions for other options will greatly be appreciated. Thank you!

Now isn't the best time to get into finance. Seems like everyday I read an article about another bank cutting jobs....

Graduate, get a job, and then think about where you want your life to go. You may love being an actuary. And you can always go and get an MFE later.

Back