• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

What Tools, Applications used in MFE Program

What are the tools, applications and operating systems are used throughout the MFE program?

Would appreciate any input from current students or professors.

We use industry standard applications.
C++: Visual Studio
Excel, VBA for the structured finance course.
Latex: Miktex for taking notes (j/k on this front as I haven't seen anyone taking notes in latex yet. On the other hand, knowing tex syntax would help when you post mathematical formula on Quantnet)
Probably R,SAS on the Stat class.

In all, you probably sit in front of Visual Studio coding C++ for majority of your time.
That's been my experience in 2006-2007. Knowing Prof. Stefanica, you probably do more this year, not less of what I did.

vi, vi and vi... :prayer: :prayer: vi

What about matlab?
Matlab is a very strong tool, any reason for not being used?

Is matlab used at some wall street firms?
Is high programming level at matlab will be an advantage?

some firms use Matlab to do prototyping but when it comes to production code to do real things, Matlab is not used that much.

Latex: Miktex for taking notes (j/k on this front as I haven't seen anyone taking notes in latex yet. On the other hand, knowing tex syntax would help when you post mathematical formula on Quantnet)

Here is a LaTeX primer: Getting Started with LaTeX. Note that you can use Latex code in Math Mode (the dollar signs) on quantnet by putting [ tex ] and [ /tex ] around the code (press the TeX button above). You can skip ahead to the "Producing Mathematical Formulae using LaTeX" section for our purposes here.

Back