• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

What you say and do online DOES matter

Recruiters and HR professionals are checking online sources to learn about potential candidates. 85% say that positive online reputation influences their hiring decisions. 70% have rejected candidates based on information they found online.

Types of sites used to research applicants:
  • Search engines, video and photo sharing sites, professional and networking sites (>50%)
  • Personal websites, blogs, twitter, online forums and communities, virtual world sites, online gaming sites (>25%)
Types of online reputational information that influenced decisions to reject a candidate:
  • Concerns about the candidate's lifestyle, inappropriate comments and text written by the candidate, unsuitable photos, videos, and information (>50%)
  • Inappropriate comments or text written by friends or relatives, comments criticizing former employers, co-workers, or clients, membership in certain groups or networks, poor communication skills displayed online (>25%)
The full report, commissioned by Microsoft, can be found here

Ah, HR at its finest. While I am fine with a company using all means within legal allowance to make the best hiring decision, I think companies need to put in strict limits to highly subjective stuff.

Stupid facebook pictures or racist online rants are obviously big no-no's, but what happens when HR starts digging deep and finds a blog post that they disagree with, but might be completely fine. Suppose they see political contributions to a certain party and the HR person is of the opponent.

I think as the years go on you will see so much noise that HR will stick to the facts. 20 years from now I think most people will have an online presence and brand which will negate HR's ability to do this stuff.

Lesson for all those looking for work. Change your online ID's, lock your profiles and google yourself!

Andy is of course correct which is why you are better off chatting on sites like this and Wilmott.com where you can choose to use a handle that is nowhere near your name.

It is of course trivial to create an online persona that makes you look smart, responsible, kind to animals, and trustworthy. There are now firms that offer to do that for you...

Google has serious issues. If you search my name today you will find a mildly confusing mix of headhunting stuff and programming, for some time the top result was a technical article on the relationship between read-only and constness in C++

I fear I may be setting a bad example in some of my postings, here and elsewhere. I am a director of both companies I work for, and know that I won't ever be looking for an employee job ever again. Also, I decided years ago to tell it like I see it.

That's partly my own arrogance, but also a decision in my personal branding. What works for me is the idea that people I've never met see what I write and understand that unlike many recruiters in my line of work I will be straight with them. Not everyone likes this of course, but the average is pretty good.

But that would be an insane position for most employees of large companies to take.

Bank HR are deeply paranoid about big law suits coming from online comments by staff. If you sound like the sort of person who will say "we sold this toxic shit to some dumb ***** and her towel head friends LOL" in a public forum you can incur liability on a gothic scale.

To calibrate this issue properly, you need to understand how few facts an employer really has about you.

Interviews are highly artificial, and the chances of getting any useful info out references from former employers or educators are pretty low.

How do you test for honesty ?
Is this person reliable ?
Do they have things in their personal lives that will impact work ?

Some employers genuinely do ask at interview "are you an honest person". Although this seems naive, one might as well ask, more than one banks has used handwriting analysis.

In many places the questions that allow employers to check this are illegal, and all by themselves open the doors to expensive legal action.

That's why faint, ambiguous signals may be hugely amplified. Any bullshit on your CV is a potential liability. Your ability to Ski is not relevant to algorithmic trading(*) but exaggerating it can fatally affect your application. I know for a fact that some people have failed on false "interests and hobbies".

Google has real issues, there are hundreds of "Dominic Connor"' 's most are paedophile, since of course mine is a name popular amongst Catholic priests. As Anthony says, you need to google yourself. Nowadays the first page of hits is mostly me, it is necessarily the case that for most people the first hits aren't them.

A smarter HR will add your university and/or employer to the filter and probably hit you, but names come in waves of popularity, so even in a mid sized university there may be namesakes even if your name is not very common.

I must think through what you do about that...

(*) actually when I think about what some hiring managers have told me, it does.

The solution is obviously to cancel all online accounts, destroy your computer and write code using punch cards while living under a rock.

There are several reasons why we decided a long time ago that Quantnet will be a community of real people with real name.

First of all, a lot of people who started Quantnet back in 2003 knew each other in person via school or work so it makes no sense to reply my friend Jim's post by his online handle "smartguyNYC". It just makes sense to let Jim be Jim.

If you look at the top 50 posters on Quantnet, each with more than 100 posts, virtually everyone uses their real names. That's something we encourage new members when they sign up.

Knowing online anonymity is an asset and liability, we chose to be very transparent of who we are. It has served our community well thus far.

The reason is simple: your online reputation is something you can build and use to great benefits. The study suggests that 85% of HR personnel say that positive online reputation influences their hiring decisions.

When people put their names on the line, they tend to be more professional and careful in what they say. People use real names on Facebook, LinkedIn and there are absolutely no reason they should not do the same thing on Quantnet where they are more likely to run into a potential employer.

We are going to be more social, sharing more personal information online. That's how the internet has evolved over the years. So instead of withdrawal, one can choose to be smart to use the internet as his online resume or portfolio.

If one is an incompetent jerk, regardless of whether he has any positive online presence, he probably won't have any lasting career prospect. In the other hand, if you are a good person, it can't hurt to be a good net citizen.

Luckily for me, my name is one of the most common Italian names out there. I have googled various iterations of my name and it is hard, even for me, to weed out the real stuff from other people.

I am curious how standards will change in 20-30-40 years when an online presence is the norm. Political elections will be very interesting also. Maybe this over abundance of information will push the pendulum back to the other side and people will start calling your references, having more personal interviews vs. asking routine behavioral questions, etc.

@Anthony...
unless you're running a very elaborate scheme, your profile pic does give you away (despite your name being common) :)

Google, as you probably know, does not provide real-time updates as their search algorithm is based on number of hits/links to a given search term. So, if you have a webpage at one Uni/firm etc for a while and move to a new position, it is very likely that for a considerable while your Google result will be your old page....A possible solution is to keep a personal webpage (there are a lot of free webspaces, or you can purchase a low-profile domain name very cheaply) and try to direct traffic related to your name to this page. You obviously have more control over personal webpages than your Uni/firm pages. IMHO, not having an online presence is actually a negative factor nowadays, so instead of being reactive and hiding your online identity, be active and manage it.

@Andy: Obviously, anonymity has advantages for not-yet-established users of quantnet, say one seeks interview questions of a firm, or ponders between two offers s/he has received etc.

This reminds me of an episode I saw the other days where an online reputation consultant (yes, there is such an industry) gave advices to students and professionals whose names have been slandered on public blog, etc.

The advice: actively monitor mentions of your name, firms on the ever expanding internet. While you can't request every website to remove that negativity, you can create positive/neutral mention of your name and hope that Google search will display the recent ones on top and the bad ones will be on page 3,4. Many people don't bother with results on page 2 so it may work.

As you can see, building and protecting your "brand" is a serious business.

@AlgoCan is right that for many of us who runs any of business (I run Quantnet, Dominic runs his recruiting firm, Anthony has a website, many people here are director of a quant program or run a financial services company), it's a question of how to do it most effectively.

@euroazn, we are both assuming that Anthony's picture is really him ... ;)

Also the face on that picture is so small that I wouldn't recognise him from it if I met him in real life.

I was a panelist at a finance conference and I was taking notes. The night before was "interesting" so if anything I was exhausted.

I need to change all of my pictures haha.

Back