• View the 2024 QuantNet ranking of the Best UK Quant MSc Programs.

• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

What's the difference of MSc in Quantitative Finance and in Financial Mathematics?

I will take one of the above in Britain to study----in University of Glasgow to be more specific (I chose it because of Adam Smith......funny, huh?), but I don't know which one subject to choose.

My goal is to become a top graduate there, and then, be a PhD student in the field of Financial Engineering in one of the top universities in USA (like MIT, NYU, Harvard, hopefully). After that, a job in an investment bank, working with derivative markets and derivatives pricing and similar stuff (still, hopefully).

Which one, MSc in Quantitative Finance or MSc in Financial Mathematics, will help me, and which one might be biased?

I would really appreciate if any one of you could help. Thank you so much!

I don't know if there are distinct differences in UK quant master programs. In the US, the names are almost exchangeable. It's also known as Financial Engineering, Computational Finance, Mathematics Finance, etc.
So just look at the content of the courses. I'm not familiar with UK courses so there isn't much help here.

Secondly, there is no PhD program in Financial Engineering at MIT, NYU, Harvard, etc. You gotta do better research into your future career than this. It takes months to get familiar with the landscapes of this field.

And lastly, if your plan is to do PhD, there is little benefit to do a professional MSc degree where its goal is to get you a job in the industry. This is the way it goes in the US. UK programs may be a different beast.

Back