• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

What's your timeline?

Hi,

I'm just wondering what your timeline is academically and professionally.

I'm 21.

Mine is currently:
Bachelor's in Electrical Engineering (2006-2011) - currently 3rd year with a mixture of co-op jobs

Future:
Masters in Financial Engineering (2012?)

For some reason I have this rush to finish school and start earning some money. My plan is to get an MFE and apply for quant positions. Any advice or comments about my current plan? Am I too optimistic about getting a quant job? Should I get more experience before going for Masters? More education needed?

I'd love to see how others have arrived at their careers and advice they might have if they were to do it all again.

Thanks,
Joey

It's understandable to want to make money while one still in school. Everyone has been through that before.
A lot may and will change in the next few years with regard to FE will shape up. Your plan may change too so my best advice is to enjoy the few years you have left in school. You have the next 40+ years to work and make money.
I often found it counter productive and distracting when thinking about money while in school. Do your best to prepare for the next 6 months and take one step at a time. A long the way, if you get an opportunity to get some relevant work experience, grab it with both hands.

And FYI, I've been a student long enough to understand the call of "money". That said, I had to wait till after my MFE to get some real money. In your case, the choice is probably easier since to get a quant job, the minimum is a master degree.

Back