• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

When does internship recruitment for quant roles start?

Asking all the graduates from any of the MFE/MSCF/MFin/etc programs in the US:

I’m starting as a student in one of these programs this year, and I want to make sure I don’t miss out on any crucial timeline phases.

When did you start applying for internships for quant/AM/risk roles? What resources/platforms did you use to see these opportunities? Approximately how much time did you devote in general (apart from the classes/training in your program) for preparing for the interviews or coding tests?

Would love any insight!

I don't remember the thread so I can't link it, but a grad pretty much said that it starts early august or so. It's usually about a year ahead. He grad was telling people because he wanted more MFE grads to get hired at his company but they are all at a disadvantage because they just started a new program and almost none of them had their bearings or connections (often in a new country) and didn't know to apply yet.

So get on top of that right away. Just start combing through employer's websites. Is you are already accepted in a program the career staff is probably available to you so start emailing them and ask for information.

As a reference, I just finished a coffee chat with Goldman Sachs recruiters for an internship two summers from now. Not this summer, which I've already got an internship for, it's the summer AFTER THAT. So recruiting for this position is actually farther ahead than the timeline I gave you. And it does tend to be the case that the best positions are filled the earliest.

Point is, it is never too early to start looking. I've heard that it is also never too early to start going through the Green/Red books/Dan Stefanica's books. But being late can be disastrous.

I don't remember the thread so I can't link it, but a grad pretty much said that it starts early august or so. It's usually about a year ahead. He grad was telling people because he wanted more MFE grads to get hired at his company but they are all at a disadvantage because they just started a new program and almost none of them had their bearings or connections (often in a new country) and didn't know to apply yet.
Oh, that was in @Igna 's thread. Quote: "Why Am I doing this: I’ve been involved in our recruitment process of the last few years at all levels (undergrad all the way to experienced). As far as the process goes at our company, the chips are highly stacked against MFE students (because of how early the process starts). I personally would like to see more well prepared MFE graduates in our ranks, and I’d like to use this platform to both help students who are interested in that career path and collect some data points for my information."

Here's the thread: I'm a senior buy side quant researcher. AMA

Back