• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

When Milliseconds Make Millions: Why Wall Street Programmers Earn the Big Bucks

When Milliseconds Make Millions: Why Wall Street Programmers Earn the Big Bucks

David Ramel follows up his "Highest Paid Programmers" article with a look inside the world of high-frequency trading, where coders earn top dollars and even nanoseconds count.

By David Ramel

A recent article I wrote about the highest paid programmers provided a peek into the world of big-money, automated trading on Wall Street. In high-frequency trading (HFT), programmers eke out every last incremental tick in performance to build algorithms that battle other algorithms for computational supremacy and millions in profits -- and earn a lot in the process.

http://adtmag.com/articles/2011/07/29/why-hft-programmers-earn-top-salaries.aspx

So all the HFT traders making millions per year is true?? Its confusing how the salary is posted in internet.. Most of the sites agree with making 150-300K but are there people making millions by being HFT traders?? or is it just hyped or bragged about!

Of course. I'll bet there are even social workers out there making millions...

his is why it so important to actually enjoy your work. It use to drive me nuts when everyone would say "make sure you get a job that you enjoy!" Now I understand that this is more than just being happy. The more you enjoy your job the harder you will work; eventuall earning you these spectacular salaries.

Back