• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

when should one start to apply for jobs

I am a PHD student in EE, with an additional Masters in Math. I am looking to graduate in Spring/Summer 2010.

I had the confusion of when to start applying for jobs, Mark joshi says that you should apply only 2 months before graduation. IS it prudent considering I am an international student?
Also are firms recruiting fresh graduates more in Fall than Spring?
I have read Baxter and Rennie and have very basic C++ skills. How much time is required for preparation for interviews for my skill level and when should I start applying for jobs?

I don't know the reason behind Mark's two month recommendation but from my own experience, it takes a whole lot longer than that in good and bad times.
The time depends on the method you use and the firms you deal with. If you work with recruiter, it's in their interest to push thing along. On the other hand, going through the firm website portal, it can take forever.
I believe hiring is a year round business but most activities occur in Spring since managers have a better idea of headcount increase after the end of the year review.

You should apply for job a semester before graduation. Just go to any interview you can get. You learn from bad interviews more than successful ones.

So if I am graduating in Spring/Summer I should start to apply in Fall?
Also given that I only have elementary C++ knowledge and have read Baxter and Rennie how much time will it take for me to be prepared for an interview.

Back