• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Which degree should i choose?

I did my BSc in Physics and now I need to choose between two master's degrees. One is in physics, and one is in financial mathematics. Ultimately I want to end up in quantitative finance, so the latter would be more tailored to that, but it is in a city with a very high cost of living. The university for the physics master's is in my hometown, so the cost of living is minimal. Here I would also have the opportunity to additionally listen to 'Financial Mathematics in Continuous Time', 'Numerical Methods in Finance' and 'Modern Methods of Data Analysis'. Both universities are among the top 5 in Germany, but I think the financial mathematics one has a bit more international recognition.I now have to decide if it is worth taking out a loan to cover my living expenses and moving to do the degree in Financial Mathematics, or if I save the money and do a Master's degree in Physics with the additional lectures mentioned above.I am also considering doing a Phd afterwards.Any advice would be welcome.

Hi TheSearzes,

If you're strongly convinced you want to work in QF, then go to Financial Mathematics. Make a loan and invest money in you education. This is my opinion.

Cheers

Back