• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Which is better

Hey guys, I am working on learning finance. Which would be best to add along, math or computer science? And if math, is it just everyday math or finance math only. please respond

Could you tell us more, please?
Have a look at how others pose questions.

Last edited:
I just finshed college and i majored in biology. However i want to start learning finance and most people i have asked recommends i leanr finance and math together. I dont want to pay for college again to leanr finance, so i decided to teach myself through books. So far i have googled "best books to learn finance" and i buy the most common ones.

Additionally, i also googled "best mathematics books on finance" and also purchased the most common ones.

Then I came across Quantnet website and decided to ask for advice on what finance books for a beginner to learn finance and what math books on finance to learn as well. Also, *is the math general as in I have to study all algebra, calculus, differentila equation, linear algebra etc or is there a specific math for finance* and what books for which.

Thankyou.

I just finshed college and i majored in biology. However i want to start learning finance and most people i have asked recommends i leanr finance and math together. I dont want to pay for college again to leanr finance, so i decided to teach myself through books. So far i have googled "best books to learn finance" and i buy the most common ones.

Additionally, i also googled "best mathematics books on finance" and also purchased the most common ones.

Then I came across Quantnet website and decided to ask for advice on what finance books for a beginner to learn finance and what math books on finance to learn as well. Also, *is the math general as in I have to study all algebra, calculus, differentila equation, linear algebra etc or is there a specific math for finance* and what books for which

Gilbert Strang at MIT has great online courses.

My ODE/PDE online courses and my 2022 PDE book for computational finance.

see www.datasim.nl for online courses. Maybe.

Real analysis is fundamental.

And programming.

Last edited:

Then I came across Quantnet website and decided to ask for advice on what finance books for a beginner to learn finance and what math books on finance to learn as well. Also, *is the math general as in I have to study all algebra, calculus, differentila equation, linear algebra etc or is there a specific math for finance* and what books for which.

Thankyou.
What area of finance are you looking to get into? The forum is for quantitative finance, which is more quantitative than anything finance. Becoming a quant means learning programming and math. Is this what interests you? If not, then you probably won't get great advice from here.

Back