• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Which is more important, stat or econ?

I'm currently a undergrad student in UPitt, majoring in applied math with a related area in CS (including intermediate programming, data structure, discrete structure, algorithm implement), and is planning my own path to be a quant (quant trader will be the best). The first step would be applying to a graduate school and getting an MFE degree. Now I'm wondering which is better to be a minor, stat or econ, or, even no minors but related coursework?

For statistics minor, best choice: Intro to Probability, Intro to Statistics, Applied Time Series (must take Applied Regression as a prerequisite), Intermediate Probability, Stochastic Processes

For economics minor, best choice: Intermediate Microeconomics, Intermediate Macroeconomics, Applied Econometrics, Game Theory, Intermediate International Finance

For no minors but related coursework: Intro to Probability and any other five of courses listed above except Time Series

So what do you think? Any suggestions will help, thank you guys in advance!

you don't loose anything if do the econ later. stat adds more value to your profile. moreover, knowing stat means also knowing econometrics

Really thank you guys so much, I think stat will be the best choice for me.

btw, I got a question about minor. What is the value of a minor?

Think about two students, one of them got 3.8/4.0 for his GPA, whereas have a minor in statistics; the other got 3.85/4.0, which is higher but lacks one course, say, intermediate probability, to get a stat minor. If you guys were the recruiters, which applicant would you prefer?

I will add that having basic economics knowledge is very useful. So while Stats minor > Econ minor, a few econ courses (basic macro and micro) are very beneficial.

Back