• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Which would help my admissions more?

Assuming i want to apply to MFE programs directly after undergrad, which would help my admissions more: 8-9 advanced math classes (past DiffEq and intro to proofs) with no finance classes, or 4-5 advanced math classes along with intro to microeconomics, principles of accounting 1, Principles of Finance, and Advanced Financial management?
to clarify: I go to a liberal arts college with ridiculous gen ed requirements, so i can't do both. And i have to take the econ and accounting class to take the finance class.
So what should i do to be the most competitive? Thanks

I don't think accounting is really relevant. I would definitely try and get some math classes and maybe a general finance class. Also, don't forget, programming classes are also a must.

I don't think accounting is really relevant. I would definitely try and get some math classes and maybe a general finance class. Also, don't forget, programming classes are also a must.

Yea in either case, i'll be taking all my programming classes. But like i said, i can't take the finance class without taking accounting AND econ. So are two finance classes worth taking 4 less math classes?

k go for maths, but you should def. check out if there's a way to take finance classes on the side without prereqs. I've been able to do that...

Have a clear idea of what you want to do, why do you want to study MFE at that program? I often see applicants with perfect scores, GPA, exceedingly qualified but failed epically in their personal statement to demonstrate that their have a faintest idea of what the field is about.

Hang around this site, ask questions to the more experienced people, take some relevant internship, etc.

I do not care if you have 4-5 more math courses than other people, it's just one check in a long checklist. Sometimes, these programs really mean it when they say "we look at the application as a whole".

I agree with Andy. I've always like programming and mathematics, but I've also had an interest in Finance. Before preparing for the MFE applications, i've decided to take some finance classes at a nearby university - just to make sure finance was really an interest I wanted to make a living out of.

My advice: don't go straight to grad school. I've hired quant-a-be's from most major programs. The ones with experience usually make better candidates. Figure out why you need all the incremental education before you pursue graduate studies. It makes your study much more focussed.

You should know the big picture of finance, especially as the environment gets increasingly competitive.

That said, you don't necessarily have to take a class to get that big picture. Self study on how finance works is a lot easier than self study in advanced math. Personally, the CFA books really brought everything together for me.

My advice: don't go straight to grad school. I've hired quant-a-be's from most major programs. The ones with experience usually make better candidates. Figure out why you need all the incremental education before you pursue graduate studies. It makes your study much more focussed.

Thanks for posting this, sir.

Edit: What type of experience do you suggest?

Something in a financial institution where you can a) gain some practical knowledge and b) prove that your interest in finance is based upon experience and not just visions of dollar signs.

People who fall into the latter category tend to move from firm to firm frequently, always looking for the marginal dollar. They also tend to hate their jobs.

Back