• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Columbia MAFN Why Columbia MAFN never share placement stats

The director said he tried to collect the placement stats for the summer internship last year, but not many students gave a sh*t on him, and he could do nothing to force them to do so.

I can tell you the summer internship stats in this year. I guess 50-65 students are looking for summer internship, and I only know about 35 of them. So please do a little bit bootstrapping by yourself. All of the students I'm talking about are not USA citizens.

Company Position Location
Goldman Sachs Strats HK
Credit Suisse IBD HK
Credit Suisse Technology NYC
HSBC S & T HK
AIG Actuarial LA
AIG Quant Research NYC
Societe Generale Technology NYC
Citi Quant Research NYC
Trexquant Summer Intern NYC
Trexquant Summer Intern NYC
Moody's Financial Modeling NYC
Barclay's Market Risk NYC
Bank of New York Mellon Corporate Treasury NYC
Black Rock Summer Intern SF
Bank of America Summer Intern NYC

When I wrote "Summer Intern", it means I don't know the position's name. I also knew 4 other people found summer internship, but I don't know which companies. A lot of others are still waiting for the result after the final round interview. Actually I just got an offer yesterday, and another offer today.

I hope this will help you.

Thank you for sharing the detailed information.
I'm also heading towards MAFN this fall.
Hope to see you in New York!

Actually the deadline of the application almost passed. I think it won't matter anymore like you did this in Jan or Feb.
Yeah, I don't know-- if there's no compelling reason other than just curiosity to ask for the early decision, though, I'd see it as a question of whether it's worth the risk... Nielsen doesn't exactly strike me as the type who appreciates being unnecessarily rushed

Last edited:
But some less-renowned programs, like those at GaTech, BU, UChicago, etc do disclose their placement stats and their stats look great. For example, GaTech has an extremely high percentage of placement in U.S.. So does this mean these programs are actually better than mafn at Columbia?

It's pretty well-recognized among those of us that have been around for a while (went through MFE, went to work for a while, know people around the Street, etc.) that generally the MFE programs BS their statistics a lot. Basically almost everyone cheats. If you're seen as among the most prestigious of the programs, there's no incentive to play the game. You're already starting out at a handicap even if you decide to cheat also, as in a game where everyone's cheating, those with actual credibility will lose out.

Incidentally, I've yet to meet or hear of a single person from the Georgia Tech MFE program (whatever it's called). But then again I work in New York.

Yeah, I don't know-- if there's no compelling reason other than just curiosity to ask for the early decision, though, I'd see it as a question of whether it's worth the risk... Nielsen doesn't exactly strike me as the type who appreciates being unnecessarily rushed
Well I got the offer from Oxford , MCF, and need to reply before 19th. but if there really exists such a risk, I prefer to wait because I value more in MAFN

Back