• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Why I Am Leaving Goldman Sachs

He may be talking about his ethics, but then he is the one trying to male a buck off it. I don't know what to make of the guy.

It is an interesting book indeed, but alas, I'm not sure everything he discussed happens in reality on sell-side dealer desks. I think a lot of sales and traders working on the sell-side probably view him with a little skepticism. Also, it would be good to know how much revenue he reaps off the book deal and publicity :)

I don't agree with the arguments/opinions, that Mr Smith was opportunistic concerning his profession for the whole of 12 years and later chose to leave his office citing reasons of ethical breaches and selectively allowed himself to forego those lucrative sums for a promoted status of moral virtuousness . I believe, had it been the case otherwise , that would have reaped him more benefits . In fact there is an under water tide that he could sense which are not very apparent in big 4 firms like GS ,although there are a bunch of IB firms who hardly work in lines of moral conformity and so have nothing to lose unlike GS which has bigger stature than the rest and is endowed with the responsibility of pumping blood into a financial system pretty much like INTEL or GOOGLE which are more than just mere profit making corporate. So here , by the under current I mean to say there could be looming policy changes , priority reversals or for that matter any of political shifts which not only would have spoiled the position GS presently holds in future but also could have created detrimental effects to the economical soundness , so he felt wise to disocciate himself from a position of utmost importance to save himself from shouldering the upcoming challenges or any ensuing setbacks. So I think neither it is a case of sacrifice of monetary compensation or a showcase of righteousness but a well calculated step to wash his hands off a staggering reputation that might deteriorate with time.

Back