• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Why you should cry for the intelligence of the human Race.

None of you guys is disturbed by this? :eek:

Btw cool "Users who have read this thread" feature, Andy.

Hey quantnet! What's 48/2(9+3)?
288, right? That's 1st grade math...

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=133389973
http://www.wallstreetoasis.com/forums/48÷293

The first thread actually had a poll and 2 won by a slight majority...

It's not disturbing at all. It like asking a dentist a question from nuclear physics. Do they look like mathematicians?! (You might argue math is not needed to compute this but we have seen many cases when people respond doomed answers to easiest questions)

It's not disturbing at all. It like asking a dentist a question from nuclear physics. Do they look like mathematicians?! (You might argue math is not needed to compute this but we have seen many cases when people respond doomed answers to easiest questions)

First grade multiplication is nuclear physics? No, it isn't.
I understand if I asked an illeterate person in impoverished Africa and they couldn't answer, but seriously, anyone who's been through school needs to be answer something like this...

I understand if I asked an illeterate person in impoverished Africa and they couldn't answer, but seriously, anyone who's been through school needs to be answer something like this...

I also think so...this is not the topic we argue...but...

First grade multiplication is nuclear physics? No, it isn't.

You might argue math is not needed to compute this but we have seen many cases when people respond doomed answers to easiest questions

It is not very uncommon even at schools.

Sorry that I'm hijacking this thread, but I'm new and I was wondering how I can start a new thread?

We have to step up education then!

Education systems in many places lack enthusiasm for education itself. Many go to schools just for the sake of fitting job market and that's all. I'm expecting many of graduate people having calculated this "48/2(9+3)" with a calculator. Not very surprising.

Education systems in many places lack enthusiasm for education itself. Many go to schools just for the sake of fitting job market and that's all. I'm expecting many of graduate people having calculated this "48/2(9+3)" with a calculator. Not very surprising.

At least they would get the right answer >.>

Sorry that I'm hijacking this thread, but I'm new and I was wondering how I can start a new thread?

Go to the categories below (when being in a forum section). Choose one category and on the left-top you'll see the button "Post New Thread"

At least they would get the right answer >.>

Yeah, they got the right answer already - '288' (chuckle)

BTW, are you sure?! How to insert the operations?! Yet pass 48/2 and then multiply by (9+3) or vise?! :) Calculator tells

Yeah, they got the right answer already - '288' (chuckle)

BTW, are you sure?! How to insert the operations?! Yet pass 48/2 and then multiply by (9+3) or vise?! :) Calculator tells

Use a graphing calculator :P

But I would hate to see these people try to figure out Reverse Polish Notation >.>

Haha I got interested in the purposes of those sites...answers fit exactly what they are for

Haha I got interested in the purposes of those sites...answers fit exactly what they are for

Wallstreet Oasis really dissapointed me though.
In particular, there was an ardent "2" support called manbearpig... he's an MFE. At least he used group theory to support his flawed argument.

Use a graphing calculator :p

But I would hate to see these people try to figure out Reverse Polish Notation >.>

Reversed polish notation is widely used in finance and by people with just a high school diploma just because the HP business calculator uses it and there TONS of people using that calculator. So, it might be easier.

What's 48/2(9+3)?

There is a lot of ambiguity in the way your math symbols are translated to a single line of typed text. What do you mean exactly?

(\frac{48}{2\times (9+3)})

or

(\frac{48}{2}\times (9+3))

I can't tell from what you wrote. We have to know exactly what you meant in order to give an answer.

Alain - the answer is 288 from the way it's written. Because multiplication and division have the same precedence, you work from the left. So 48/2 * (9+3). It would seem ambiguous, but actually the way it's written is somewhat legitimate.

Back