• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Why

kean

Mathematics Student
Why so many people want to study MFE/ MFM/ MQF nowadays?

Reasons:

1. Can make more money?
2. Hoping to be the next Mr. Buffet? He has no financial mathematics? Has he?
3. Can't find a good job, thinking of switching?

What is yours?

Are those your reasons? :)

In my case, it is all simple. Financial Math and Stats are the growing areas where I can apply my knowledge.

In terms of job search, it is actually the opposite. It is harder for me to find a job in Finance than in some other area of Math and Stats. For example, there are many pharmaceutical companies looking for people with my background :) but I'm not going there, can't see myself doing clinical trials and experimenting on mice :)

The above is not my reasons.

i also kind of fell into the "trap"...just get addicted to the difficult maths question.
frankly speaking, i person think econometric is more relevant to the financial markets in general. of course, derivatives pricing needs financial maths.

Yurily: why do you think that you have problems finding a job in finance industry? have you tried?

Yurily: why do you think that you have problems finding a job in finance industry? have you tried?

I'm not on the market to look for a full-time job yet.

By "harder" I meant the general job search process of FE's and, say, BioStat's. You listed "Can't find a good job, thinking of switching" as one of the possible reasons for changing careers :)
FE is more competitive than BioStats or almost any other Statistical Analysis field. And I can find a good job outside of finance, but I don't want it :) So in my case, not finding a good job is defintely not the case.

Back