• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Will "Thinking in C++ Vol 1+ Vol 2" help me create a good base ?

roni

Cornell FE
I have programmed before (C and Pascal), no high level or something. And now I want to learn C++ (will take a C++ course next semester) to develop another skill for the MFE...

As of now, I want to buy "Thinking in C++" Vol 1 and Vol 2. And. And, After I develop my programming skills, Ill go for "Introduction to C++ for Financial Engineers" and some other book.

What do you think? I know that books won't help me a lot and that I need to code a lot, but still....

Thanks,
Roni.

Bruce Eckel has made Thinking in C++ available for free at Planet PDF - Thinking in C++

If you have a C background then it is probably a good way to get started with C++. The book is aimed at those who are switching from C to C++. It is extremely detailed.

They will definitely help. Bruce Eckel is an excellent teacher. I learned C++ using his original "Using C++" and "C++ Primer 1st ed" from Lippman. This was around 1992-93.

"Thinking in C++" is an excellent resource as well. However, it is dense.

agree with alain, "Thinking in C++" is a good resource for people to learn C++. I remember there is a free html version somewhere on the internet where you can also download the sample code.

Thank you very much. I just saved approx $100 :)

and zhouxing, I googled "Thinking in c++ sample codes" and I didn't find any. Do you have a direct link by any chance ?

Thanks,
Roni.

Bruce Eckel has made Thinking in C++ available for free at Planet PDF - Thinking in C++

If you have a C background then it is probably a good way to get started with C++. The book is aimed at those who are switching from C to C++. It is extremely detailed.

when you say "extremely detailed" do you mean it's a good or a bad thing? :)

and thank you for the link

when you say "extremely detailed" do you mean it's a good or a bad thing? :)

and thank you for the link

I would not recommend the book to someone who had no or little programming experience. For people who already grasp the bigger picture, and wonder about the idioms of the language, or for people who know C and want to know how C++ builds off of it, then it is very good. Plus it's free, so go decide for yourself.:)

I would not recommend the book to someone who had no or little programming experience. For people who already grasp the bigger picture, and wonder about the idioms of the language, or for people who know C and want to know how C++ builds off of it, then it is very good. Plus it's free, so go decide for yourself.:)

well, if its no good, its no good. and it doesn't matter if its free or not :)

I found all these ebooks :

1) The C++ Standard Library- A Tutorial and Reference

2) The C++ Programming Language Special 3rd Edition

3) Accelerated C++: Practical Programming by Example (C++ In-Depth Series)

4) Thinking in C++ Vol 1 and Vol 2- you say its not recommended

5) C++ For Dummies

6) C++ How to Program (5th Edition)
Is any of these books will help me learn the language? if not, can you recommend a book or two ?

and if these books don't target new programmers (no or little programming experience), why would they publish these books ? why not add another chapter or two for newbies?

Thanks,
Roni.

I agree with Carl, if you know well C and want to move to C++, "Thinking in C++" is a very good book.

Back