• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

windows8 can not install Visual Studio 2008

Hi , I can not install Visual Studio 2008 for Window8 OS. I try to install .Net 3.5 from adding feature, but it seems not helpful for install Visual Studio 2008. I also couldn't install Matlab as well. Anyone have same issue as windows 8 user?

I've tried VS2012 and VS2010 separately under Win 8, both work well. I didn't install Matlab since I have a Mac version :)

But I actually had some problem on installing .Net 3.5. The install file tried to link the server every time, and later returned a failure of connection.

I think latest is .NET 4.0?

MS is not champion in backwards compatibility..

yeah, .net 3.5 is needed. It made me couldn't install VS2008, and Matalb. Google for a while and couldn't find any solution:alien:

Hello,
I have a problem of missing shortcut of Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 in start menu of Windows 8.
I have installed first Microsoft SQL Server enterprise 2008 then visual studio 2008 and then visual studio 2005.Though visual studio 2005 shortcut appears in start menu but VS 2008 does not also after reinstalling.Please help me out.Also please find attachment

Attachments

• VS 2008 Short Missing.jpg
    VS 2008 Short Missing.jpg
    275.1 KB · Views: 32
VS2008 is ancient. As is VS2005. And SQL 2008.

VS2015 Community is free.

Ok I like VS2012,
But if you can explain how to develop applications for Win Mobile 6.x i will forget VS2008.
If not, I need to install it.
A lot of big manufacturers of mobile terminals use WinMobile 6 operating system.
I suppose that companies like Intermec, Pidgeon etc. are wrong, but I'm not so big of imposing a new operating system in their production.
With the arrive of Win7 I needed to create a machine with VMware XP to give technical support of VB6 programs, but I then solved by rewriting millions of code lines. In this case .........
maybe I should write a new operating system and sell it instead of Windows Mobile ???
Intermec said that Windows Mobile 6.5 is still in production, but can only develop up to VS2008, so .....

Whereas the WinMobile emulator is very slow, work on a virtual machine is almost unthinkable.

Ok I like VS2012,
But if you can explain how to develop applications for Win Mobile 6.x i will forget VS2008.
If not, I need to install it.
A lot of big manufacturers of mobile terminals use WinMobile 6 operating system.
I suppose that companies like Intermec, Pidgeon etc. are wrong, but I'm not so big of imposing a new operating system in their production.
With the arrive of Win7 I needed to create a machine with VMware XP to give technical support of VB6 programs, but I then solved by rewriting millions of code lines. In this case .........
maybe I should write a new operating system and sell it instead of Windows Mobile ???
Intermec said that Windows Mobile 6.5 is still in production, but can only develop up to VS2008, so .....

Whereas the WinMobile emulator is very slow, work on a virtual machine is almost unthinkable.

I see. In a production environment (your situation?) one is constrained.

I see. In a production environment (your situation?) one is constrained.

W8 is currently on a separate HD (was an upgrade from W7),
Iwill change the boot sequence to return to the well-functioning W7
and forget W8 until the feature WinMobile will be available (VS2099?)

It 'still incredible that it can't use a software that I paid dearly,
on an operating system which is also bought at a high price.

Bye

W8 is currently on a separate HD (was an upgrade from W7),
Iwill change the boot sequence to return to the well-functioning W7
and forget W8 until the feature WinMobile will be available (VS2099?)

It 'still incredible that it can't use a software that I paid dearly,
on an operating system which is also bought at a high price.

Bye
I use Windows 7; I will hate to have to move to a new version.

Back