• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Wondering about the next step

I am a undergraduate student in physics and math. I want to get into the quant career. I have a good foundation in math and physics and also have a taste of risk management research. There is one year left before my application for graduate school. But I am wondering about the direction.

I have heard that science PHD is preferred by the industry and it would be easier for me to get a offer in physics or applied math. However, I do not think that working on a possibly irrelevant discipline for 4 or 5 years will give me that much advantage. So I am also considering about pursuing a MFE.

Thank you for giving any suggestion to such a freshman.
By the way, I will got exchanged to Stony Brook next semester. How about the QF program there?

Do not do a PhD as a career move into the industry. Under any circumstance.
Picking an MFE program that aligns with your career goal is really hard. A lot of research needs to be done thoroughly. Online and in person.
I'm not sure about the next steps but you took the right first step which is to sign up on Quantnet and ask question.
I don't have first hand experience with the Stony Brook program but several members here are current students there.

Do not do a PhD as a career move into the industry. Under any circumstance.
Picking an MFE program that aligns with your career goal is really hard. A lot of research needs to be done thoroughly. Online and in person.
I'm not sure about the next steps but you took the right first step which is to sign up on Quantnet and ask question.
I don't have first hand experience with the Stony Brook program but several members here are current students there.
Thanks a lot for your attention.
Actually, I got a little bit confused. What do you mean by 'Picking an MFE program that aligns with your career goal is really hard.'?
I am doing a BBA and CS minor. Will this add any value to application for an MFE?

Thanks a lot for your attention.
Actually, I got a little bit confused. What do you mean by 'Picking an MFE program that aligns with your career goal is really hard.'?
I am doing a BBA and CS minor. Will this add any value to application for an MFE?

You wrote you were a Math and Physics major. Where does BBA and CS come from?

You wrote you were a Math and Physics major. Where does BBA and CS come from?
Thanks for your reply.
They are the minor programs offered by my university(HKUST). They require completion of at least 6 courses respectively. And I am focusing on the database management for CS minor.

Back