• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Work in NYC, live in NJ

What should I answer for "Are you newyork state residant" . Note: I pay taxes in NY

You are NJ resident. The definition of resident is where you reside i.e where you live. You pay NY tax because you work there, you also have to NJ tax because you live there.

The reason I asked this question is, every one has their own definition for "resident". For instance, IRS considers you resident of a state where you lived for more than 181 days in a year. The same may not be true for colleges. Some one told me that you should have resided in the state for past 2 years and some one told me that you should have paid taxes to that state for 2 years.

I am sure there are many people who live in NJ and work in wall street. All of them pay taxes to NY. What do colleges consider as home state - the tax home state or the "living in" home state ?
Any information on this will be very helpful in estimating the real tution costs.

You are NJ resident. The definition of resident is where you reside i.e where you live. You pay NY tax because you work there, you also have to NJ tax because you live there.

Qualifying For The Senior College Resident Tuition Rate.
A senior college student may qualify for the resident tuition rate if he/she continuously maintained his/her principal place of abode in the State of New York for a period of at least twelve consecutive months immediately preceding the first day of classes. Students who have attended a New York City or State high school for the two semesters immediately prior to the first day of classes also qualify.
Residency Status Procedures and Forms - Baruch College

The reason I asked this question is, every one has their own definition for "resident". For instance, IRS considers you resident of a state where you lived for more than 181 days in a year. The same may not be true for colleges. Some one told me that you should have resided in the state for past 2 years and some one told me that you should have paid taxes to that state for 2 years.

I am sure there are many people who live in NJ and work in wall street. All of them pay taxes to NY. What do colleges consider as home state - the tax home state or the "living in" home state ?
Any information on this will be very helpful in estimating the real tution costs.

You will pay out of state rate, plain and simple. It's still not that expensive. This is not the IRS. Actually, if I remember correctly most state colleges follow that rule, wherever you live, that's your home state.

Back