• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Worst and best fonts to use in resume

$ grep -i font ~/.vimrc
set guifont=Anonymous\ Pro\ 12'
set guifont=Terminus\ 9

I use Bembo typeset in Latex.
Edward Tufte uses it as the workhorse for all his books.

From the man himself...
"I like to see as much design as possible as a solved problem and then get on with the content issues...

In general, I use Gill Sans and ETBembo for everything in print; those typefaces are beautiful and work for my purposes. There is no content-need to develop new typographic styles for my work. There are too many substantive matters to think about and thus I want to limit the number of design decisions. Thus I try not to re-open solved typographic designs."

-- Edward Tufte
http://www.edwardtufte.com/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00009r

I prefer using standard font to signal my CV doesn't need a nice font to shine :cool:

I never put much thought into this; always used Times New Roman. I read that the quality of paper the resume is printed on is also important.

I have used LaTeX for 7 years now. The default LaTeX font, Computer Modern, looks quite nice.

I like it too, but the name is a bit outdated, as it doesn't actually look as nice on screen as on paper (looks too thin).

I never put much thought into this; always used Times New Roman. I read that the quality of paper the resume is printed on is also important.

I've surprised several interviewers by having resume paper thicker than printer paper ("Wow, you got expensive paper.") No one has yet to comment on the quality of my font.

If you're an interviewer, chances are you've been told by HR a short time ahead, someone else was supposed to interview and you are subbing, or maybe you put in on your calendar a month ago and are in the middle of something crucial when you get the reminder saying you have to go interview someone. In that setting, I have begun to realize no one really cares about the quality of your resume paper or its font. They'll be lucky to glance it over beforehand, and likely will be quickly scanning it during your interview.

Discussions like this are good fun, but to anyone getting concerned, I'd suggest working on actual accomplishments. Don't worry about this stuff.

Why? I can guarantee you that people have had their resumes thrown out because they looked shitty.
There are plenty of resumes out there that are shitty, but it's not because they're in Times New Roman instead of Arial.

ppl throw out resumes for varieties of reasons. i dont care about resume fonts. but im not a fan of college fraternities. i even go out of my way to make sure no bros get hired in my group.

Yeah, it's not really too relevant. I try to use something with efficient tight spacing so things fit onto one page. It's funny that this showed up in BBG, the person they interviewed is definitely on the artsy side of things; most of us wouldn't even be able to tell the difference except maybe some weird subconscious feeling.

Yeah, it's not really too relevant. I try to use something with efficient tight spacing so things fit onto one page. It's funny that this showed up in BBG, the person they interviewed is definitely on the artsy side of things; most of us wouldn't even be able to tell the difference except maybe some weird subconscious feeling.
those are the ones who end up in HR making the first decision.

those are the ones who end up in HR making the first decision.

My impression is they go a lot more by keywords than anything as substantive (hehe) as how the overall resume appears, even aesthetically.

I've seen some really crappy resumes, with typos and big weird spacings. I would think the font is the least of the problem there, and by the time they get to me, they've gotten through several filters.

Back