• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Worthwhile: UChicago MSFM after UChicago undergrad?

I am thinking about applying (although acceptance requires commitment, hence this question) to UChicago's 4+1 program, which allows me to complete the MSFM in an additional year with a $25,000 scholarship. However, I'm not sure if it's worth it: my goal is to work at a "top" quant trading firm.

I am a sophomore @ UChicago majoring in molecular engineering + physics, so I will have a pretty strong mathematical background, and the benefits of an undergraduate target school. Moreover, I'm taking a number of graduate classes (at an extent that seems unparalleled among other undergrads), which may hopefully stand out. I'm also doing research, but it's too early to tell whether anything extraordinary in the eyes of quant firms will come of it.

Currently at a 3.8 GPA (hopefully/probably 3.8+ in some time), but the engineering school here also practices intense deflation, and that's relative even to UChicago as a whole. Maybe that'll count for something. I'm also in the Derivatives Group Quant Trading org here.

I'm really unsure as to whether the MSFM would be worthwhile for me. My alternative is get a masters in engineering after graduation, possibly in EE with a focus on ML or something of that nature. I'm not too keen yet about a PhD, which is also why I'm considering the MSFM more. My main concern isn't particularly learning the material: I'm pretty good at picking things up independently—I just want to know if it would really be beneficial for my attractiveness as a quant candidate.

I'm also somewhat hoping that I can leverage the fact that I'll be guaranteed an MSFM for internship opportunities at quant firms, as I've heard that it helps.

What do you all think?

With a guaranteed seat in Chicago MSFM, maybe apply to a few other top programs in our MFE rankings and weigh your options at that point.
Chicago, New York all have top shops, hedge funds and some have more specialty in products. Maybe have an eye for a broader market instead of traditional finance.
Get your C++/Python skills to the next level which will open more doors for you.

With a guaranteed seat in Chicago MSFM, maybe apply to a few other top programs in our MFE rankings and weigh your options at that point.
Chicago, New York all have top shops, hedge funds and some have more specialty in products. Maybe have an eye for a broader market instead of traditional finance.
Get your C++/Python skills to the next level which will open more doors for you.
I'm not sure if I could do that. Acceptance into this program seems to require commitment for the MSFM. Even if that's not the case, let's say it hypothetically were. Then would you recommend it?

I'm moderately familiar with C++ as is, and I have a lot of experience with Python.

Back