• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Would an undergrad thesis help w/ admissions?

Hey guys, I'm a senior studying CS and Stats at UCB. I'm currently eyeing the MFE programs at UCB and CMU.

My stats are
Cumulative GPA: 3.34, Statistics GPA: 3.54 Computer Science GPA: 3.396

Right now, I have the option of doing an honors degree in stats by doing undergraduate research that will culminate in a thesis.

My question is,

Are undergrad theses even taken into consideration when applying for the MFE? Would it increase my chances of getting accepted into said programs?

I should also mention that there's a good chance of getting a letter of recommendation from the professor who will be my thesis advisor.

Its not going to be make or break for you! Recommendations for professional master programs are overrated. As long as they state something positive, that's generally sufficient especially since you come from a solid well known univ.

Back