• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Would you take Numerical Analysis if it uses Mathematica?

roni

Cornell FE
I think I've asked this question before but I still can't decide :\
I registered for a Numerical Analysis course in the coming summer semester ( 5 week intensive course). It fits my schedule perfectly,but, we are going to use Mathematica.

Another option is to take the course over the fall semester (will use C++ or Matlab), but I'll need to change my whole course schedule if I want to take it in fall semester.

I spoke with my NA professor and he said that once you know how to do NA in Mathematica, it can be easily applied in C++ and Matlab.

what do you guys think ?

>Would you take Numerical Analysis if it uses Mathematica?

No.

I don't if this will apply to you, but I am taking a Mathematical Economics course which is basically all numerical work mostly, and the software we were SUPPOSE to use was Maple. Although maple would have been good since most of the work was symbolic, I wanted to use MATLAB since that is a more coveted skillset than MAPLE. I talked to the prof and he gave me special permission to hand in all my assignments in MATLAB .

See if you can have something a long those terms arranged for your course?

I don't if this will apply to you, but I am taking a Mathematical Economics course which is basically all numerical work mostly, and the software we were SUPPOSE to use was Maple. Although maple would have been good since most of the work was symbolic, I wanted to use MATLAB since that is a more coveted skillset than MAPLE. I talked to the prof and he gave me special permission to hand in all my assignments in MATLAB .

See if you can have something a long those terms arranged for your course?
wow, that's a great idea. I just contacted the professor, hope he approves it.

---------- Post added at 09:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:52 AM ----------

I agree that doing it with Mathematica is not as good as using C++ or Matlab but I also think you have to take into consideration how it will affect your schedule.
it's going to totally affect my schedule.... I wanted to take PDEs in fall, but if I take NA, seems like I won't be able to take PDEs :\
will see what I can do....
will look for another PDEs course if I decide to take NA in fall...

it's going to totally affect my schedule.... I wanted to take PDEs in fall, but if I take NA, seems like I won't be able to take PDEs :\
will see what I can do....
will look for another PDEs course if I decide to take NA in fall...

Hopefully the professor will approve Joy's suggestion. And if you can't find another PDE I would think it worthwhile to take NA this summer and then PDE in the fall.

Hopefully the professor will approve Joy's suggestion. And if you can't find another PDE I would think it worthwhile to take NA this summer and then PDE in the fall.
well, I spoke with the professor. He said (and I think hes right) that Mablab/Mathematica/C++ are not the main point of the course. The main point is to understand the theory, how to implement it is something secondary.
And he says that I can do the assignments also in Matlab if I want, but he'll collect the Mathematica only.
I said whatever, don't have much choice.
Also, I couldn't find another PDE course in the city.

I don't think it's worth taking NA at a private school (and pay 3 times more than what I pay now) just because I'm going to use Matlab.

I can download Matlab and just do the assignments in Matlab and Mathematica simultaneously.

I think that's going to be the best choice.

You are missing the big picture here. You can't keep waiting for all the ducks getting in a row. Your professor is right. Who cares about the tools you use.
Make the best of the situation and move on. There are more important things to worry than these Matlab/Mathematica stuff.
If you want to learn something, get a book, search the web and study after hours. You can't drop a class because it uses Mathematica and not Matlab/C++/C# or what have you.

Would you turn down a job because they use Java/Perl/Unix instead of C++/Python/XP?

Life is short. Time is money. A few years from now, you will look back at these questions and wonder how silly they are.

You are missing the big picture here. You can't keep waiting for all the ducks getting in a row. Your professor is right. Who cares about the tools you use.
Make the best of the situation and move on. There are more important things to worry than these Matlab/Mathematica stuff.
If you want to learn something, get a book, search the web and study after hours. You can't drop a class because it uses Mathematica and not Matlab/C++/C# or what have you.

Would you turn down a job because they use Java/Perl/Unix instead of C++/Python/XP?

Life is short. Time is money. A few years from now, you will look back at these questions and wonder how silly they are.
lol, yep... you are 100% right...

Back