• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Wow! A lot of new laptops have come out!

Yeah and given that Google announced this morning they're shutting down much-hyped Google Waves and Google Gears, and some tech blogs already announcing the dead of Google+, it seems there's downside potential being an early adopter of the Chromebook.

Not if it is anything like iPads - my daughter broke mine by dropping it from about 1.5 feet off the ground (backlight works but no image) - not very durable - and Apple refuses to fix it due to a small scratch/dent which had nothing to do with the fall that apparently voids the warranty - what a load of crap!
Should have picked up a used iPad for your daughter. Generation 2 or 1 does not make difference to a child.

Should have picked up a used iPad for your daughter. Generation 2 or 1 does not make difference to a child.
Luckily it was a Gen 1, but she threw a wrench in my plan to upgrade my tablet and leave the older one at home for the family.

I buy my toddler lolly pops. Cheaper, last longer, and makes him happier.
LOL. Perhaps boys are easier to please than girls - my daughter wants to play with my iPad while eating the lollipop.

I just saw an ad for a Sony laptop with an optional battery sheet providing "all-day power." Excuse my ignorance, but is this a new technology? It seems like a great idea at first glance. Any comments from the tech-savvy peanut gallery?

It's not new. The race for "all-day" power began about 6 years ago. The first two heavy contenders were Sony and Lenovo. The original X-Series Lenovo laptops ran on their standard batteries for about 8 hours - previous laptops did around half of that. Sony laptops with sheet batteries can easily run longer than 10 hours as long as you do not have brightness set to max (and turn off wifi when you are not using it).

Keep in mind that "all-day" does not mean 24 hours and certainly does not mean on max power. I actually have a spare brand new Sony sheet battery for the S-Series if anyone is interested in purchasing. I'm not a fan of adding a pound just for more battery life. I just carry the AC adaptor around with me.

What's your opinion on the S-Series? I'm looking for a new laptop and that's one of my considerations.

Was looking at the US-VPCSE190X series on sony website myself a week or so ago. I read a lot about the fan noise. Its keyboard is not as good as Thinkpad T keyboard and missing trackpoint.
At the end, I decided to get an Intel SSD drive and use it as bootdrive for my Thinkpad T60 and give my laptop a few more good years out of its life. It has been 6 years since I bought it and it has been a durable workhorse.

I am waiting for retina display/ultra high resolution to come to laptops before buying another.

Ha! You beat me to it ;)

I have been waiting for years for that laptop to come out. And heres the best part: There is no Mac counterpart! Ha Ha Ha Ha!!!

But seriously. For those of you who have no patience to read the article:
About 2 years ago laptops began evolving into less powerful but much lighter breeds. People started opting for 3lbs 13" laptops over their heavier brethren for two main reasons; they are much easier to carry around and they look sweet.

Realistically speaking, anyone on Quantnet probably does a hefty amount of programming. I don't know about you guys but I can't stand programming on a tiny 13" screen. So whats so amazing about this Samsung laptop? Its a 15.6" ultrabook! Yes, you read that right: 3.5lbs and has a full 15.6" screen!

Since I have never been much of a Samsung guy I decided to purchase the Samsung series 7 laptop. The laptop I am currently using has exceeded my expectations. The built is super-solid and this thing runs very smooth. Additionally, the keyboards and trackpads on the new Samsungs are on par with the Mac keyboards and trackpads (Mac tracks might still be slightly smoother). Based on my experience with the Samsung series 7 I am extremely optomistic about the upcoming Series 9.

So are their any downsides to this beautiful beast? Perhaps a few, but I'm still going to buy one (or two ;))
1) No FULL HD. 720p. Not bad, but not exactly with the times.
2) $1500. Ouch.
3) Nothing else I can think of.

Most people on Quantnet who have contacted me regarding laptops have had the same requirements. $1,000-$,1200 limit, and either 13" and light, or 15" and decent weight. Is it worth the extra $300 to get both? I think so.

Now for some Apple fun.

The 13" Macbook Air starts at $1,300. Keep in mind that you are getting an i5 processor (ULV?). You have no option to upgrade.

The 15" Macbook Pro starts at $1,800. Keep in mind that this model had a non-SSD hard drive.

So if Apple ever put out a Macbook Air 15" (what Samsung has done) how much would it cost? If they keep true to Samsung and include an SSD and a full-fledged i7 processor then I am going to predict a $2,400+ price tag.

So, would you pay $1,000 more (and wait until it hopefully comes out) for a Mac version of this beauty? I certainly would not.

It's a shame that the Samsung has such a mere 1600x900 resolution.

I was thinking exactly the same thing. Hopefully, Apple comes out with a 15'' Macbook Air with a bigger resolution in June.

Back