Yale University - Master in Asset Management

Yale Asset Management Admission Discussion

It seems like their best students have placement that rivals top programs while the rest get a salary + sign-on bonus of around $105,000 which is very obtainable from cheaper schools like UW and NCSU.

It says that 1/3 of the class is employed in China, could any Chinese students weigh in here on how those salaries compare to American companies? I'm wondering if that skews the data
If you receive $100,000 annual salary in China, I would it is a very decent starting salary. It is difficult to make comparison with the placement stats from other programs that have mostly stats in the U.S. Obviously, if you consider the placement stats in USD, they do not look impressive. However, do keep in mind that while you make more money in the U.S., the costs of living are also much higher in the U.S.

Here is the response from the Yale SOM program to my query
The Yale School of Management Master’s in Asset Management program received over 1400 applications for the Class of 2025, representing a 12% increase in submitted applications year over year. Our admissions team is currently in the process of evaluation, and will release decisions on March 26th. Admitted students will have until April 18th to enroll, with an expected cohort size similar to our current Class of 2024.

4% acceptance rate 😮
Sure, but the curriculum looks weird.
They lean into Yale's theorists, I count maybe four courses that are somewhat quantitative. Very selective, but that seems to be the biggest 'wow' factor that I can see.

Their last cohort had 19% dual-degree MBA students, which is a further tell on who the program is catering to. Last year, they had almost as many graduates enter private wealth management and private equity as they had buy side or sell side research (12.2/15.2). It's 'stem' but I'm not sure it's for quants.

Last edited:
Sure, but the curriculum looks weird.
They lean into Yale's theorists, I count maybe four courses that are somewhat quantitative. Very selective, but that seems to be the biggest 'wow' factor that I can see.

Their last cohort had 19% dual-degree MBA students, which is a further tell on who the program is catering to. Last year, they had almost as many graduates enter private wealth management and private equity as they had buy side or sell side research (12.2/15.2). It's 'stem' but I'm not sure it's for quants.
I agree with pretty much everything you said but I think its also worth mentioning that their curriculum is flexible for students that want a more quant focused education . From their website:
In addition, students may substitute a suitable graduate course in Computer Science, Economics, Mathematics, or Statistics & Data Science with prior approval from the faculty director”

Yeah the name of the program implies it is not necessarily quant focused. However that could be a positive as there will be more attention/less competition for the smaller group of students that decide to focus on quant. Unclear how employers currently view the program, but at least there's a large AQR presence in the program. Undecided as to whether or not I will attend, will definitely have to talk to quant focused students.

Back
Top Bottom