• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

15 Reasons Your MFE Application Was Denied

rejection.jpg

After a noticeable drop in 2009, the number of applications to quant master programs this year is returning to level close to the record high in 2008 before the global financial crisis caused massive layoff in the financial services sector. With more people discovering the "quant" profession and the education required to get their foot in the door, this year’s group of applicants is finding that rejection may be something that they’ll have to learn how to handle.
For the 2010 incoming class, Princeton only accepts 5% of applicants to its Masters in Finance program (compared to 4% in 2009). Stanford's Financial Math program only accepts 7% of its 2010 applicants compared to 6% a year earlier. Baruch MFE admits 7% of those who apply this year, down from 8% last year. NYU's Mathematics in Finance program denies admission to more than eight of every ten applicants. We have been tracking the admission stats of the top programs over the last few years and if this trend continues, it will become increasingly fierce to get a seat in a sought-after program.

So if you get dinged from your dream programs, you are not alone. It is understandable that you are devastated after all the hard work you invested in the application process. But it's important to keep in mind that admission to the best MFE programs is very competitive where the pool of applicants consists of many smart students who have 800Q GRE, PhD in a hard science, impressive background from elite universities.

So you will ask yourself, "Where do I go from here?". Getting rejected from a top program is not the end of the world for you. Many applicants have successfully reapplied and get admitted into their first choice program after reevaluating and correcting fatal mistakes in their first try. It's time to take an objective look at your application and see what you can improve or correct.
Here are the most common reasons
  1. You applied only to programs in which you had zero chance of gaining admission
  2. You bombed the in-person/phone interview
  3. You didn't meet the specific math/programming/finance/experience requirements
  4. You failed to make a compelling case for why you need the MFE degree
  5. Your GRE/GMAT/GPA/TOEFL scores are too low compared to the overall applicant pool
  6. You failed to customize your applications to each program you applied to
  7. You disclosed your plan of doing PhD after MFE
  8. Your essay showed lack of English proficiency or was written by someone else
  9. You failed to proofread and named a different program in your essay
  10. You failed to address specific questions asked in the essay topic
  11. Your application had fundamental flags around judgment or interpersonal issues.
  12. You failed to present new information when you reapplied
  13. Your recommendations had a damning effect
  14. You rushed the application and didn’t spend enough time on it
  15. You failed to complete the application or provide missing documentation
Unlike MBA, there are few admission consulting services available to MFE applicants because the market size and need are decidedly different. For rejected students, there are very few outlets to seek help. Sites like QuantNet's forumare a very effective resource in getting the most useful feedback from current students and alumni of various MFE programs.

Understanding what went wrong with the application also can come from the admissions staff at the programs that rejected you. MFE programs vary in their policies on providing feedback. Princeton's Master in Finance program does not allow appeal nor offer explanation or suggestion to denied applicants, citing the university's graduate admission procedure. Since majority of applicants to MFE programs apply from abroad, programs almost never provide feedback for unsuccessful application via email and phone due to admission privacy policies. Almost all programs encourage strong applicants to apply again in the future.
Also, many programs have info sessions where staff provides quick profile evaluation and suggestion to prospective students. If you can attend in person, take advantage of the opportunities to both gain insight and get direct feedback from people who make the admission decision. If you plan to reapply, taking this extra step can play a major role in the outcome of your application.

This is a great article Andy, it covers many of the common topics/questions people ask on the forum regarding their application as well as offering advice to potential applicants.

I especially like "You failed to proofread and named a different program in your essay".

Very good article. However, I was wondering about number 7 which said:

"You disclosed your plan of doing PhD after MFE".

Why is this such a bad thing to do and why will it hinder your chances at getting in?

Wow apparently the girl in the photo for the article was reduced to sitting in a shed looking sad after her application was denied ;)

I wish girls like her were not rejected from MFE programs:(

It is true for MOST MFE programs because the materials there aren't designed to prepare you for a PhD program. No program would want its graduates to not get a job and fail to get into any PhD program. That would screw up their placement stats.
Some programs realize they can't prevent students from going PhD so they take that into consideration and admit those who can get it, should they choose so.

See more in this discussion thread https://www.quantnet.com/threads/15-reasons-your-mfe-application-was-denied.4454/

Whats a good strategy to overcome poor university math grades?

I had bad score in calculus I and some other lower level math courses. If I have good score in high level math course like differential equations and stochastic, will this help me during the application process?

No. Programs, specially those from math dept would expect a very strong math background and a C/D in Cal I isn't a good indication of that.
What would help you is to have a solid work experience to compensate for it. If you are coming in as fresh graduate with no work experience, you are competing with others with much stronger grades.

No. Programs, specially those from math dept would expect a very strong math background and a C/D in Cal I isn't a good indication of that.
I received D for Cal I and As for Cal II & III. This didn't cause much trouble in gaining admission to MAFN program. I just explained that I didn't take university classes seriously during freshman year (being 16).
So, Yunkai, make a compelling exlpanation for admissions board. Show the progress you made.

Back