• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

3-D TV going main stream?

Has anyone seen Avatar yet? Did it make you want to go out and buy a new 3-D TV right away?
I'm admittedly a fan boy of all the latest gadgets, specially when it comes to high definition movies. It seems like yesterday when Blu-ray won the "format war". Now, it looks like the flood gate is about to open for mainstream consumer to get all the 3-D goodies.

ESPN is recording football games in 3-D, TV makers are rushing many models out to the US market. TV producers are cooking up shows in 3-D.
I'm sure the games and movies industry aren't waiting. Even the local Fox evening news has been talking about 3-D so it's here.

Nice to read this morning Television Begins Push Into the 3rd Dimension - NYTimes.com

I hope it does not cost me a kidney, in addition to my arm and leg.

With CES kicking off tomorrow and a gamut of 3D devices on display I think the companies are taking all possible steps towards bringing 3D to mainstream media.

The only available 3D TV is by SONY costing around $2,500. LG announced that they would unveil something in first half of 2010 and Toshiba coming up with an idea of converting 2D images to 3D (I wonder how).

It seems it would be avatar everyday at home ;)

Indeed, after seeing Avatar in IMAX 3D I thought right away that my HD tv will become obsolete relatively shortly :)

Right on cue came the NYT article ;)

Just saw Avatar in IMAX 3D...going back to see it this weekend in 2D just for kicks

I would be interested in how does the 2D and IMAX 3D experience compare. Actually how the IMAX 3D and regular 3D compare would be even more interesting.

I haven't seen Avatar and my 3-D experiences thus far have been at the Disney park rides. From what I read, the Avatar experience blows the IMAX 3-D out of the water. Do they use the same red-blue plastic googles? I can imagine it would be hard to beat the Avatar experience.

If the technology takes off, i can see many non mainstream applications. Virtual girlfriends, Vivid Entertainment anyone?

This is the article about 3-D glass I read few weeks ago A New High-Tech Battle - Which 3-D Glasses Are Best? - NYTimes.com

If the set goes about $1,500 for a 40"+ set, I'll say a buy.

After I get my DeLorean. I ordered one right after "Back to Future 1" came out.
If you can afford it, get this one instead

future-car-1.jpg

The Avatar IMAX 3D viewing was my first 3D experience, but I would be very surprised if the Avatar 2D experience is in any way scaled down wrt effects and graphics.

I think the whole push to 3D is just another marketing ploy to force people to spend more money at the movies and also induce them to replace those spanking new HDTV sets they just bought with 3D Tv's, pay more for 3D programming (Discovery, ESPN, etc). This is just like the camera manufacturers touting the number of mega pixels their cameras have.

Well, I have to admit thought, the idea of 3D is both cool and a huge milestone, provided a little over half a century ago people were mesmerized by color TV.

I haven't seen Avatar and my 3-D experiences thus far have been at the Disney park rides. From what I read, the Avatar experience blows the IMAX 3-D out of the water. Do they use the same red-blue plastic googles? I can imagine it would be hard to beat the Avatar experience.

If the technology takes off, i can see many non mainstream applications. Virtual girlfriends, Vivid Entertainment anyone?

This is the article about 3-D glass I read few weeks ago A New High-Tech Battle - Which 3-D Glasses Are Best? - NYTimes.com

If the set goes about $1,500 for a 40"+ set, I'll say a buy.

Given that we are paying big bucks every few years to upgrade our computers, it's part of a necessity. Sure, the gadget industry and related company benefit from the consumers thirst for bigger, better, faster anything.

3-D is an early adopters game and unfortunately, i'm an early and eager adopter when it comes to a better living experience.

LCD shutter 3D glasses

Hey Andy, nice DeLorean ;)

On the site of XpanD you can order shutter 3D glasses for LCDs for around $ 100. Nevertheless you need a compatible monitor/TV, wich is more costly - so far.

But I can hardly wait!
Especially I can hardly wait for the 3D-versions of Toy Story I, II and III =D>

Now I realize the benefits of a 3-D TV :)
...omg...I am starting saving money for 3-D playboy channel right now.

... otherwise I think that 3-D represents the future of cinema.

If only there was a way to see things in 3D without paying $10k. If only we had some sort of ocular instrument that allowed us to do this for free.

Part of the reason not to buy yet is the non-standardisation of technologies.

Some work by polarisation, some by alternate shutters on the goggles.

However, at a conference last autumn I saw a screen that required no glasses at all on the iShares stand. Seemed to be some sort of fresnel lens, the iShares people had to cope with the way I was more interested in their screen than products...

Back