• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

6 Types of Quant - Mark Joshi

CLy

In "On Becoming A Quant" by Mark Joshi, he mentioned six types of quants ( (1) Front office/desk quant (2) Model validating quant (3) Research quant
(4) Quant developer (5) Statistical arbitrage quant (6) Capital quant). However, Google (i.e., QuantStart) divides Quant into (1) Quant Trader (2) Quant Developer (3) Quant Researcher.

How are these two lists different?

Speaking very roughly (categorizations such as this do not necessarily make sense in today's world where everyone calls themselves a quant), the first list is applicable to the sell side, the latter to the buy side. I believe Joshi's entire career was spent in the former.

Speaking very roughly (categorizations such as this do not necessarily make sense in today's world where everyone calls themselves a quant), the first list is applicable to the sell side, the latter to the buy side. I believe Joshi's entire career was spent in the former.
Mark Joshi passed away a while back

Back