• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

about the strategy group at Goldman Sachs

My friend is joining the strategy group in goldman sachs and he wanted to know what exactly is the work there and how it is different from other quant roles. Any help?

hate to be a party pooper, but wouldn't one want to find these things out before making a decision to accept the offer ;?
the power of goldman's name is fascinating.

To add to Dmytro: he gets a chance to interview the group, and should ask for an opportunity to sit with them for part of the day and watch the work flow, talk to some of the team members, whatever will satisfy him.

I can tell you that strats=quants in most cases, but some strats, fx fundamental strats and sales strats, are not very quantitative and work more with the sales team. The quantitative strats can be divided into strats and core strats - strats sit on a desk, fx credit trading, and assists the traders, whereas core strats assists the strats with modelbuilding - core strats are the most computational. Which team is he joining? And is it in london or NY?

He is actually joining the NY team. He has a PHD in CS from UIUC and an exceptional academic record. I was wondering do they prefer to have CS people in strat?

An awful lot of strat work is programming, indeed a lot of people get drawn into GS as what they perceive to be math-oriented work and in fact is computer wrangling.

Would you happen to know which language the computer wrangling is in, Sir Connor? C++ or a prop language?

GS use a language called Slang (Securities LANGuage), which is their own language. Very easy to learn!

Not for nothing, but what if someone from Goldman's Strategy group sees this post, wont your friend seem a little(insert adjective here). I'm not saying the question shouldn't be asked(but agree with Dmytro it should be asked before). I'm just not sure I would ask this question in a public forum. Just a suggestion for your "friend"

That's exactly why vkaul is asking the question, not his friend
I wouldn't put too much thoughts on GS people reading this thread. Wilmott has tons of similar threads.
This reminds me the kinds of threads I see on GD, "I got in the MFE programs at X University. Anyone knows anything about the program and job placement there?".
I mean, hello. Didn't you do any research on the program before you apply?

Giving the friend the benefit of the doubt, I think he tries to get a general ideal from other quants perspective.
It's not like he will turn down the offer if Quantnet members say anything negative. GS is always a good name to have specially if he just starts his career.
It sounds like the role is a good place to be to ride out this financial storm. Just jump before it becomes a cost center.

Yes that is true andy. That is why I am asking on his behalf. He doesn't know the role exactly though he has got some understanding of it. So that was the reason he asked what generally the strategies people do.

I know this is a bit offtopic but...

I just talked to my friend from Wharton and he said that for undergrads, GS doesn't even look at anyone with a GPA below 3.7

And I'm at Lehigh University with a 3.23 overall/3.40 major

Um...so...does anybody know anybody at Goldman Sachs? I threw my GPA to the wolves in hopes of taking more finance and grad courses and I guess I'm reaping my just rewards, but I don't want some book-schooling to cost me my dream of actually applying it in a place where it truly counts!

Not sure where the heck to turn right now...

Not sure where the heck to turn right now...
Here are a few suggestions
1) Go to places that looks at GPA <3.7. If Goldman doesn't want to look at you, move on. It's not like Goldman is the only place you can cure cancer or work on world peace.
2) On a second thought, maybe GS will look at people with GPA <3.7. It's a whiner that they don't want to look at.
3) Work on your current courses and get all A. It will boost your GPA. It would be a better way to spend time than to cry over spilled milk.

Well ATM I'm trying to get in touch with Lehigh GS alums. Apparently my GPA puts me easily within the top 30% of my engineering class. And my entire Lehigh class was the top 20% of their high school class, which easily puts me within the top 6% of everyone nationwide, going by that standard.

But yeah, it's difficult right now and I'm getting as much help as I can from my career services at Lehigh. And as has been evidenced in some previous threads, I'm going to relearn my C++ once I can get my hands on Absolute C++ by Savitch (my old CSE professor has that book)

Not sure what else I can do right now...just trying to find any which door in there, and take it from there. I know I'm better than the average bear...but it seems to me that Goldman Sachs is better than the New England Patriots...and their mantra is "be humble, or be humbled"

I wonder how far quantitative passion, some engineering talent, and an ambition to see us off of oil and coal completely will get me.

Back