• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

academics and profile

Hey guys,

I've been reading the website since 2011 but never posted anything.
Here's a little information on my background:
Finance and International Business double major from FIU (in Miami, FL) 3.55 GPA. (Good thing about FIU is that it was featured in a study about grade inflation and was portrayed as harder to earn a 3.5 from FIU than UF for example).
Played soccer for school and upon graduation (June 2010) moved to South America to play professional soccer until late last year because of a career ending surgery.
I currently work on Wealth Management at a top bank because I had previously interned here and they hired me on the spot the day I called and told them about my moving back to the States.
I've always liked math but was focused on sports and starting at the beginning of the year I began taking math courses: so far I've done Calc I and II (A in both) and I am taking Linear Algebra, Calc III and intro to C++ (I know some VBA) in the fall where I'm most likely to get A's as well.
I would be interested in doing an MFE next year and during the Spring I can take Differential Equations, more C++ and Probability (got A's in stats in undergraduate, but nothing was calculus based).

I got a 720 GMAT back in college (again, playing soccer for school, taking 7 classes per semester and doing an internship).

Anyway,

The question is: from your experience what I would need to get into a good MFE program and if it is realistic to expect to get in for 2014. Are there any other courses you would recommend to take?
Keep in mind I work 8-5. Also, regarding GRE, I am taking it first week of September, and I'll probably fall somwhere in the 165-170 range.

Also, does family having attended the school help in any way?

Thanks,

Fer

(Good thing about FIU is that it was featured in a study about grade inflation and was portrayed as harder to earn a 3.5 from FIU than UF for example).

A machine won't know this and the admission committee won't know this either unless, somehow, you explain that to them (you might not get the opportunity though).

Also I don't think it is worth mentioning as admission committees ignore the context of GPAs (see http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323997004578640241102477584.html?mod=e2fb).

Having gone through the admissions process, I don't think wow factors come from grades these days. With so many applicants with killer grades/test scores, yours simply need to be comparable. What will really set you apart are your essays, recos, and work experience.

I'de suggest looking at essay questions for MFE programs and thinking about how you want to answer them when the time comes to write them. From what I gathered the two most important ideas to get across in these essays is how you've prepared for the MFE and how that school-specific MFE will enable you to do what you want in the future.

Also, begin cultivating relationships with people you may want to ask for recommendations as soon as possible.

Good luck, you certainly have a shot!

Hey guys,

Thanks for the replies. I guess we get too carried away with grades and scores and forget about the essays.
I'll start doing some research on the kind of essays one has to answer and go from there.

Also, if anyone else wants to chip in I'd appreciate it. Any insight is more than welcome.

Thanks again,

Fer

Thanks for the reply Andy, I see you go through thousands of posts so I really appreciate you taking the time to answer.

Back