• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

active duty military personnel and distance learning degrees?

I'm a 3rd year student at West Point, studying Systems Engineering with a minor in Applied Statistics. I chose all math/optimization related electives, and have a quantitatively rigorous background. West Point (the United States Military Academy) requires a 5 year active duty service commitment to the Army after my graduation in 2012.

I don't want my educational progress to become stagnant during this time, so i'm hoping to get a relatively stable staff position and get an online master's degree while fulfilling my service commitment to our country. Options I'm considering (and hoping for your input):

1. masters in Applied Statistics, MFE program post-commitment
2. masters in Applied Mathematics, MFE program post-commitment
3. masters in FE (Stevens Institute of Tech. online), MBA program post-commitment
4. masters in economics, MBA or MFE program post-commitment

What would prepare me best for a high salary job in finance and a high level of versatility? Also, due to my already ridiculous course load (23+ credits per semester), I am unable to take any C++ other than my own individual studying. Is there an online certificate program you'd recommend?
I have a very competitive class rank and GPA, so I'll have the ability to pick whatever branch I want to enter. I was hoping for guidance on this subject as well- do recruiters/admissions care what branch I serve in (Finance Corps, Signal Corps, Military Intelligence, Infantry, Air Defense Artillery, etc.)? Thanks in advance for your time and consideration.

Respectfully,

Nick

there is an alumni that graduated from West Point, Roger. He should be able to give you a more guided opinion. Hopefully he comes online and answer.

In terms of versatility, I would recommend Statistics and MBA. All forms of business are becoming more mathematical, even Google hires statisticians.

Another option you could consider post-commitment is a dual MBA/MFE. I know that Columbia and NYU have these.

It's great that youre making plans ahead, but I gotta say that much can happen in the next 7 years. Also, don't bet your plans on getting a "stable staff position" ever. I dont think such a thing exists anymore. I'm not trying to rain on your parade, but I do want to let you know how busy (an understatement) Army life is as a young officer.

It's great that youre making plans ahead, but I gotta say that much can happen in the next 7 years. Also, don't bet your plans on getting a "stable staff position" ever. I dont think such a thing exists anymore. I'm not trying to rain on your parade, but I do want to let you know how busy (an understatement) Army life is as a young officer.

You're absolutely right about that. I just got done a month at Fort Jackson (DCLT) in a basic training company and I know that staff personnel there had a daily schedule that was anything but stable. You're also right about change occurring, because I've changed my mind at least a dozen times in the past year. The only reason I'm planning ahead is that I worry that the electives I choose now might make it easier/more difficult for me to get accepted and excel in whatever graduate program I decide to apply to. I don't want to pigeon-hole myself with overspecialization, or close doors by being too generalized in my studies. Thanks for all of your helpful responses.

I suppose systems engineering can be considered more broad than most technical fields. But if you are serious about pursuing a degree in MFE you should look into courses that deal with Stochastic Processes, PDE, SDE and Numerical Analysis just to name a few. There are a few threads here that talk about ideal classes to take for an MFE candidate.
As for pigeon-holing yourself, I wouldnt worry too much unless you plan to pursue a masters degree in 18th century English Literature.

Back