• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Advice about Applied Math MS

Hi everyone!

I applied to a few MFE/MathFin programs but haven't heard back from any of them. I also applied for Applied Mathematics MS at UMass Amherst, and I got in with a full scholarship. At this point I'm worried about not getting into the MFE programs and am wondering how are my chances for a quant research career if I attend UMass. Is this a good enough school to break into quant roles? Does anyone know how it might be perceived by employers? Any advice is appreciated.

I would say go for it. It's fully funded. Try to learn some interesting and useful math in the process. Employers can go to the devil. The problem with the MFE is cramming too much into too little time. But you won't have that pressure here. UMass Amherst is not a bad school.

Hi everyone!

I applied to a few MFE/MathFin programs but haven't heard back from any of them. I also applied for Applied Mathematics MS at UMass Amherst, and I got in with a full scholarship. At this point I'm worried about not getting into the MFE programs and am wondering how are my chances for a quant research career if I attend UMass. Is this a good enough school to break into quant roles? Does anyone know how it might be perceived by employers? Any advice is appreciated.
"Employers" is way too large of a group to speculate on. Frame it this way: will a hiring manager like that you continued onto graduate level math when considering you for a job with high requirements in math? Hm. Will you be excluded from employers that only hire from Ivy's if you go to UMass? Yes. Do those employers speak for every position in the market? No.

What you have in front of you is a great option, don't overthink it. An MFE is not a ticket to freedom - quant is as multidisciplinary as it gets.

Back